Can I Temporarily Remove a Pickup From My Bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Derian, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Not sure how I forgot the DiMarzio Model One. I have one in my Epi EB3 but it was in a short scale Japanese copy before that. It sits pretty low to the body. In fact, on my Epiphone, I had to make a ring for it to raise it up a bit. You might be able to find a used one inexpensively on eBay or Reverb.

squarepeg and Derian like this.
  2. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    I second the Model One. I have one on my Epi EB3 and find it to be a very good-sounding and versatile pickup. You can wire it with a switch to be single-coil, parallel and series humbucker.

Derian likes this.
  3. Derian

Derian

Jul 31, 2020
    Is it very bass heavy like an original? I am specifically looking for that huge woolly sound of an original but I do like modern elements like coil tap and coil split stuff like that.

4. Derian

Derian

Jul 31, 2020
    How does it compare to an orignal gibson? I really want that huge woolly sound but I also like the idea of coil split, coil tap, series/parallel. Is their extra wiring that I would need to do, like a push pull pot?

5. It can be. I have never owned an actual Gibson mudbucker but compared to the Epi it’s thunderous but more defined then the original. I have a series/parallel push/pull on mine and actually typically keep it in parallel then dial in the bridge pickup and some overdrive to taste.

Derian likes this.
  6. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    I find when using the series hum bucker position that it has the heft of the original, but the notes have more definition. The parallel and single coil positions have less output. The single coil position has less bottom end. I had a Model One on a Gibson EB3 many years ago, and on an Epi now. My recollection is that the DiMarzio had a lot more definition than the Gibson humbucker, and that the Episode humbucker is less "woolly" sounding than the old Gibson one, but it has been a while and I haven't compared an old Gibson to a new Epiphone side-by-side.

Derian likes this.
  7. bradd

bradd

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    Since you have a bridge pickup I heartily endorse a true Gibson mudbucker. The DiMarzio is pretty tame in comparison. A bridge pickup will overpower a mudbucker, so you dial its volume knob down to taste.

Derian likes this.
  8. Derian

Derian

Jul 31, 2020
    The the bridge pickup thats on it already is pretty queit, its about half the volume of a P bass nearly, I find myself turning my amp higher. So you recommend the Curtis Novak over the DiMarzio because its quieter or louder?

9. bradd

bradd

Jan 27, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'd go with a real Gibson pickup over either of them. They go for around $200 on ebay.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  10. MasterG

MasterG

Dec 21, 2018
    From that pic it looks like the strings have been hitting that bridge pickup to. Like somebody was doing some heavy popping.

11. DiMarzio used to make a replacement pickup ( I had a Gibson EB-0 years ago ) Im sure you could find 1 on e-bay or on here fir way less than $300

12. Derian

Derian

Jul 31, 2020
    I think its just sketch to buy some old one, like why would somebody take it out of the bass if it was still good

13. squarepeg

squarepeg

Dec 21, 2010
    Slovenia
    Because they wanted to hear the notes, not just feel them.