Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I trust Hipshot...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Free Tibet, Sep 20, 2005.

1. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    Florida
    ...to take a low F# and drop it one whole step to low E(octave below standard) in a bass with a ~36" scale?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've never tried it, I don't see why not, but I would certainly email Hipshot to be 100% sure.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't see why not....

I drop my E to B, no problems at all....

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    And you're still able to keep tension on it?! Wow, I'm impressed!

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    No comment on the Hipshot, but great moniker.

6. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    thats gotta be one thick E, what are you using 110, 115. I use 110 but only drop to D, never really tried lower.

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    It's not uncommon in the metal realm. On .105 Es, too.

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I use a 105 and tension is not an issue, I play very lightly and use a ramp....

Even when I was using 95's, it wasn't an issue....you can't expect to play a detuned E like a 35" B on a Lakland USA.... :D

9. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I'm surprised it's even playable. I've just never had any luck detuning to such an extent. The lowest I've done was C (sure, only a half-step higher), and that was not a terribly pleasant experience, even with heavier strings.
    Back on topic, I don't see why you'd have any problem with that detuning. Just keep the Hipshot fine-tuned, and you should be OK.

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Just to rub it in more, this is on my MIM Fender with a paper thin neck! :spit:

:D :p

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I've played B-F-Bb-Eb on an Ibanez EDB600 (not my bass, but I played around on several times). Extremely pencil thin neck, and it wasn't as bad as I'd envisioned. Sounded about like it, but didn't play all that bad.

12. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    I don't even tune down to D...screw that... :mad: ;)
    I like my strings bendable, but not floppy...never floppy...haha

13. iplay4-5

iplay4-5 Guest

Feb 4, 2004
    rockford, IL
    i'm sure hipshot would work i dont see why not, i use 30., 45., 65., 85., 105., 125., for g-c-g-c-f-b(flat) tunning it i have no tension issues if you have a good set up and a 35'' or larger scale its eazy

14. Ely

Ely

Jun 8, 2001
    Huntsville, AL
    The other day me and my guitarist friend were messing around on my ex's modified MIM J and we tuned it to CGDA and there was no flop whatsoever, and she used medium-light strings!

15. Free Tibet

Free Tibet Guest

Sep 20, 2005
    Florida
    I appreciate the input, and based on the response to my first post here on Talkbass, I'll be certain to spend ample time here.

This seems to be one of most knowledgable groups of people on the subject :bassist: I've come about. Kudos to you all.

BTW, right back at ya Dharmabass

16. SoComSurfing

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Glad we could help (though I don't know how much I was able to add!). Try filling in your profile, and we'll be able to help a bit more in the future, based on what we know about your gear. Plus, I just wanna know what you're wanting to drop with a 36" scale. Wouldn't be a Knuckle, would it? If so, PLEASE post some pictures!