1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I trust this bridge?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by MagiZosoBasses, Feb 24, 2013.

1. MagiZosoBasses

MagiZosoBasses

Feb 16, 2013
    Jonathan Shrader, Luthier, MagiZoso Custom Basses
  2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    That bridge is die-cast and there's no real way of knowing what alloy was used or how it will sound. It's not an expensive gamble but a gamble nonetheless. Higher end stuff is machined from blocks of brass, aluminum or steel.

Also, inexpensive gold plating has a short lifespan and will tarnish, flake or wear off fairly quickly depending on the chemistry of your sweat.

If yours is a high-end custom bass I wouldn't skimp on the hardware. If cost is the primary concern then give it a go and just know that you may end up replacing it in a year or two if you want to maintain the appearance.

3. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    This is a Sung Il bridge, made in Korea, they are a really nice high mass bridge, very stable. Usually they have a 19 or 20mm spacing. These bridges were used on TBC basses as well as other Asian basses. This bridge will be a great upgrade for you.

Diesel is just a marketing name usually associated with Choppers Music and a couple other small retailers. When you get it, you will find Sung Il stamped on the bottom.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

+1. I have the Non locking model on a bass and its beautiful. I have seen them on boutique basses too. Carvin uses them. The only caution is that the threads in the saddles were rough on mine so I ran the screws out and ran a tap in to clean them up. I lubed the screws with paraffin.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/catalog/guitars/b40