1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can I tune a low B Carvin 5 up to C?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DirtySocks1379, Aug 4, 2005.

1. The guitar player for my band is on a kick where he detunes his les paul to standard D, and then he drops the low D down to a C. I can manage ok on my 6 year old Carvin with the standard D, but the E string gets really floppy when I drop it down to C. Right now I have it strung with a high C string. My question is, is it ok to put the low B string on the bass and tune it up to C, or do I have to get it specially set up to do so? Also, what about tuning all the subsequent strings up to match the standard D tuning, i.e. my E-string tuned to G to match his A-string, my A-string tuned to C to match his D-string, and so on. Would this put too much tension on the neck, or is it acceptable to do this?

p.s. we're not just some chug-a-chug metal band detuning as far as we can, our vocalist has a deep singing voice and the detuning sounds really good with it. Thanks for your time.

2. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Hi
    Aside form a re-cut of the nut, some intonation and a truss-rod adjustment, there are no real problems with what you are describing.
    In my experience you can simply calculate string thickness by adding .005 for each half-step downtuning. So if you use a .80 A-string you'd go for a .90 if tuning it to G.

Edit: Ok, you want to tune to D with a dropped C, so I think something like .125/.85/.65/.45 would work fine.