Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can I tune a low B Carvin 5 up to C?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DirtySocks1379, Aug 4, 2005.

1. The guitar player for my band is on a kick where he detunes his les paul to standard D, and then he drops the low D down to a C. I can manage ok on my 6 year old Carvin with the standard D, but the E string gets really floppy when I drop it down to C. Right now I have it strung with a high C string. My question is, is it ok to put the low B string on the bass and tune it up to C, or do I have to get it specially set up to do so? Also, what about tuning all the subsequent strings up to match the standard D tuning, i.e. my E-string tuned to G to match his A-string, my A-string tuned to C to match his D-string, and so on. Would this put too much tension on the neck, or is it acceptable to do this?

p.s. we're not just some chug-a-chug metal band detuning as far as we can, our vocalist has a deep singing voice and the detuning sounds really good with it. Thanks for your time.

2. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Hi
    Aside form a re-cut of the nut, some intonation and a truss-rod adjustment, there are no real problems with what you are describing.
    In my experience you can simply calculate string thickness by adding .005 for each half-step downtuning. So if you use a .80 A-string you'd go for a .90 if tuning it to G.

Edit: Ok, you want to tune to D with a dropped C, so I think something like .125/.85/.65/.45 would work fine.