Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can i tune my bass with..........

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FleaRHCP, Apr 19, 2001.

1. FleaRHCP

FleaRHCP

Mar 26, 2001
    Rockford, MI
    Can i tune my bass to a piano?:eek:

2. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    I don`t exactly know what you mean.

If you want to ask if you can tune the pitch of the strings while listening to the same notes on a piano... yes you can.
    But I play for about a year know, and I´m still not perfectly able to hear the right tuning...

David

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    As long as the piano's in tune, yes.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    You can tune a bass but you can't tuna fish.

5. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    That was just horrible! lol!

I wonder why it made me laugh though??? lol!

6. dytakeda

dytakeda

Jul 18, 2000
    A bass IS a fish!

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Rumblefish?

Well... You can tune a piano to standard and tune a bass to standard, so I'm assuming they'd both be in tune then, wouldn't they?

You could even play along with a piano while in drop d or 1/4 step down or whatever. It's all a matter of how you want to sound.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes.

Find the appropriate keys on the keyboard and have someone play and hold them one at a time as you tune your strings to them.

9. Aww man that's so REO Speedwagon.:D

10. I want it on record that I disagree with the above statement. You can tune your bass to a piano, even if the piano is out of tune. And I'll take that one step farther and state that, if you tune your bass to an out of tune piano, your bass will be in tune - relative to the out of tune piano. You can trust me on that - I have one of those 'official columnist'-looking pics for an avatar.

Oh, and you CAN tuna fish! (get it?) Can... tuna....

11. Now I disagree - you CAN TUNA DOLPHIN but that's a mammal - not a fish......

(Ok - it's 2-34 on Friday afternoon - I'm so looking forward to the weekend :))

Cheers

Dean

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Of course! Virtually every music class or workshop I've ever attended has started with the tutor saying that we should tune up and everyone tuning to an 'A' from the Piano. I've always tuned to my keyboard at home, which is digital and can't be out of tune - I prefer this and although I have a tuner, I feel I get a better overall sound in terms of intonation when I tune to the keyboard as opposed to the tuner.

13. BassistJ

BassistJ

Mar 20, 2001
    Hemet, CA USA
    No! Absolutely not! What are you thinking?! Tuning to...oh, a piano. Nevermind. I thought we were talking about tuning a bass to a tuna fish.

14. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    :rolleyes: :) Yes, and that's all well and good if it's a bass/piano duet. If you tune EVERYONE (guitars, sitar, banjos, etc.) to the piano, then you'll all be in tune to each other. But if the piano is off, and some schmoe pulls out a tuner, it's all out of whack.

And just you wait... someday I'll have an official looking avatar... you'll be sorry then... :)

15. i have found that if you are playing a wedding or party with a big tent over the dance floor if properly installed the strap holding the tent poles will play a C, kind of harder than using an open string but it can be done.