Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I Upload Pics Onto My Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I download pics from my Sony Cybershot through a USB wire onto my PC, and I was wondering if there was a way to upload pics, movies, etc. onto the Memory Stick the camera uses. Basically, my current PC only has a 3.5 floppy to store data to (which doesn't even work), and I was looking for a way to transfer media to the new PC I'm getting. Thanks!

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    probebly

3. Quality

Quality

May 7, 2003
    Long Beach, CA
    Upload all th epictures to a free host like www.myonlinepictures.com (500mb free) and then download to the new PC. You just need to set up an account but that's what I use for my online hosting (avatars, ect).

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I have a webspace, and I can get a Gmail account that can hold a gig, but the upload time would be quite long-that's why I was seeing if I could upload to the memory stick. Thanks though :)

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You can, easily. Windows XP sees it just an external drive. Anything before that I'm not sure on though. I'm pretty sure you can put whatever you want on it though, no problem.

Ray

6. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I'm kickin' it Windows 98 style :(

7. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Well, plug in your camera, and try dragging something to it, then unplug/replug and see if you can get it off or not. Hope it works for ya, and I don't see why it wouldn't...

Ray

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Tried and it didn't work. The camera, when plugged in, appears as a removable drive in the My Computer folder, and I can can drag items into it or the folders within it, but they don't seem to show up in any form on the camera when I unplug it.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Right, the camera wont know what they are... but when you plug it back in, can you pull them off again?

Ray

10. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wait, I just checked again. When I unplug the camera and then plug it back in, the files that I tried uploading are there in the folder, even though they didn't appear on the camera. I think that worked-thanks :)

I owe you a couple of Spectors.

11. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Hey, if you have a ton of files to copy over to a new box, you can also pull your harddrive from the old computer and put it in the new one. It's only two plugs, and both only fit one way. You can even keep it in as additional space. I shoulda thought of that sooner.

Ray

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've done it, but found that I had to use the same naming convention that the camera uses, you know, something like DSC00028.