Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I use a 410 for a car audio system?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FrozenCat, Aug 7, 2003.

1. I know this is a strange question, but can I use a 410 for a car audio system? I own a couple Hartke VX 410 cabs...I bought both of them from a friend for $350. They aren't the greatest, but at the time I was desperate. The tone is...decent at best. Anyway, is it posible or not? If so...what kind of amp would it take to power them? Thanks for the help....

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    You mean...as subs? I suppose you probably could, but I don't think they would work very well. Car audio subs are generally designed to go very low at the expense of not being very efficient, whereas most bass speaker cabinets are designed to be very efficient, while sometimes lacking in the extremely low frequency response.

As to your main question, I'm not sure if they will work, but you need to take into consideration that in general, car audio drivers/enclosures and bass drivers/enclosures are designed for different purposes.

3. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    Sure, you can do it.

The bass cab will be more sensitive (louder) and not as low (typically) and a LOT bigger physically. I don't know the VX series but without a horn expect it to drop off at 3,000hz and with a horn maybe 10,000hz; you will miss some highs.

I used some Peavey 210TX's for stereo a couple of times; very clean bass.

Use whatever kind of amp you want.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I spend more time listening to music in the car than anywhere else, so I installed a semi-decent stereo system. I even ran a speaker cable from the power amp to the boot of the car. Why? So I can plug it into my bass cabs on the way to gigs.

As a car sub, the nemisis 4x10 actually sounds like crap. The single JBL 15 however sounds pretty darn good. So does the Eden 2x10. The go low enough to keep me happy.

The extra effiency is kinda cancelled because I'm only running an 8 ohm load to the sub, but 4 ohm load to the other speakers. The gain on the ap is set to full for all channels and it's nicely balanced.