Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can i use a 5 with a 6 string guitarist? or, use it as much?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Tritoch, May 27, 2001.

1. Tritoch

Tritoch

Sep 9, 2000
    Ok then. i would really like to get the low end of a 5, but our guitarist uses Drop D, soon to be Drop C. what i wanted to know was, would it be worth the money to buy a five with the low B that the guitsrist doesnt have? If not, does anybody have sugjestions for de-tuning a bass, and not having the strings flop around the fret board?

2. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    You should be able to drop d without much floppiness, if not then you might want to get some thicker gauge strings.

3. A bass is not just a long-necked guitar tuned an octave lower with four fat strings. Get the 5 string. It doesn't matter if the guitarist has a B-string. Sooner or later, you're gonna want the low notes.

If you really want to match the guitar with drop C (as some fast riffs would be easier to play with the Open C), just get some heavier strings and do your thing.

Rock on!

4. Tritoch

Tritoch

Sep 9, 2000
    I am leaning more to the 5. But would it really get in the way as much as people say it will? i've had 5 string bassists complain that the never use the thing and it gets in the way. Also, If i were to get a heavyer gauge string, what would i have to do? i mean, wouldent it warp the neck or something?

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    The fifth string will get in the way only if you don't learn how to use it properly. The strings on your buddy's guitar are completely irrelevant as to whether you should get a five-string. Seriously, if you don't change your way of playing to fit the bass, you're wasting your time and money with a five. I bought my first five-string six years ago. I've never gigged with my four-string since then, and I've bought five more five-strings and still have each one. It's really improved my playing, but I've made a major effort to use all five strings.

Now, going back to four strings is like going back to arithmetic input calculators (Texas Instruments) after you've learned reverse Polish notation (Hewlett Packard).

6. you can use anything with anything for anything. got it? :)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    dhc~

Well put.