1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I use a Compressor/Limiter pedal as a buffer for an A/B/Y switcher?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassplyr5150, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Ok, Here's what I have and what I want to do.

I have two different combo amps, a Fender and a Peavey.

I want to run one set of three pedals into the Fender(EQ, Chorus and Delay), and run a Zoom multieffect into the Peavey.

I just bought a Radial BigShot A/B/Y because I figured I could go directly into that, and split the signal from there. I made the mistake of reading the directions, and they say "The tonal shift of the transformer can be minimized by placing a buffer in front of the BS...such as another effect pedal equipped with a buffered output" It also says "Experiment and have fun, there are no rules!"

Now, I have no idea weather my pedals are buffered or not, I buy them, plug them in and see what kind of noise I can make. I guess I just want to know if the Compressor/Limiter pedal would work as the buffer the A/B/Y apparently requires.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yes, it will work. Any pedal that can boost a signal is a buffer (while it's switched on). Some pedals buffer the signal even when they're switched off, but that gets a bit more complicated to identify. Also, all active basses are automatically buffered, so it's only an issue with passive basses.

3. Thanks, Bongo. I guess I also need to worry about getting shocked. Sheesh, if I knew it was going to be this complicated, I might not have bothered.

I'll let you know how it works out. Tomorrow is Sound Testing Day. :bassist: