Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can i use a guitar amp for my bass.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by usandthem, May 13, 2001.

1. usandthem

usandthem

May 13, 2001
    i am fairly new playing the bass, the wholetime i have played has been accoustic with no amp. i was wondering if i could use a guitar amp for my bass. it is a dean martin practice amp that someone is willing to send me UPS but i would like to know if it will work, before it is a waste of money to send.

2. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    You're better off buying one of those 100 practice amps or something. Bass through a guitar amp is a bad idea.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

The speaker(s) will get the workout of their, soon to be short, life.

4. it will sound terrible and way too high. after a while of playing through that, you will notice smoke coming out. don't be alarmed, it's just broken now.

5. actually i went for about 2 months playing my bass through a small guitar amp but sure enough it didnt last much longer
    what a waste of an amp

6. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    Well, I still use a Peavey 50 watt guitar amp at home to practice with. They key is just not to turn it up very loud. It won't sound very good at all, but its better than acoustic. Just keep your volume low and turn the lows down so your speaker won't rattle out of the cab;)

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I use one. :) It works fine for me. I am sure it's not a good idea in general, but if it's what you have, it's what you have.

If you are talking about BUYING one, then there is no reason to get a guitar amp whe you could get a bass amp for the same amount of cash.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i just annoyed my dorm with my friends fender ultimate chorus guitar amp.

i was SHOCKED how much low end the thing had, but i suppose 100W/channel has to have some cajones behind it. i didn't turn it up too loud, but it reproduced B string pretty well too. i'm sure if i turned it up loud i'd kill it, but at low/moderate volumes it sounded great.

jason

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

LOL...the guitar amp I use sounds like a bucket o' screws when I hit the B (only an 8 inch speaker).....just horrible sounding. Anything above D sounds fine though.

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Bass----------> Guitar Amp = Bad Idea
    Guitar---------> Bass Amp = Not so Bad Idea

see my point :D

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I played for four years through a 100 watt marshall and a sunn 2 15 cab. loved it! CRUNCH!
    Andrew

12. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    Funnily enough, I use ny old practise bass amp to run a guitar through now. It has two inputs, so in the old days I used to run my bass and a mike through the amp. Now, if you turn it up past three or four, it distorts - gives off a great crunch sound. :D

13. JerryR

JerryR

Jan 27, 2000
    South Carolina
    I use a 25w Crate Guitar amp at times to practice at LOW volume.( Had it already) It has an 8" speaker and it sounds like an underwater fart if you attempt to play it at any volume over a whisper.

Save up and try to buy a bass amp if you can. The overall sound and "thump" will definately be worth the wait. I don't know of very many of us that can withstand playing at low volumes for very long anyway LOL......................

14. cole

cole

Sep 14, 2000
    Maryland
    my first amp was a crappy little Peavey Rage 158. save your money and get a proper bass amp instead.

15. I used a my guitar amp when I got my first bass. I didn't turn it up, I somehow knew that wasn't a good idea, and then I got a bass amp a month or so later. The guitar amp still works fine.

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    To answer your question... No. You *can* use it, but it's not a very bright idea.

17. the first amp i used was a vintage fender guitar amp that i borrowed from a neighbor, good thing i got my own before it blew up

18. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    yeah, this is two 12" speakers though. it actually sounded comparable at low volumes to my SWR 2x10 cab.

jason