Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can i use a PA subwoofer as an extension cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ardorx, Nov 18, 2004.

1. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Right now I have a Genz-Benz LS410T. I'm using a Behringer BX3000T to power it. I want a little more bottom than I'm getting. I'm wondering if I can use a PA subwoofer as something to put under my 410. If you've tried this or if you have anything to say about it...please post.
    Thanks

hxcmp3.com/bands/4930

2. Sure. I used a Yorkville POWERED SUBWOOFER to help out my SWR WM 12. I took a line out from the FX SEND on the amp and plugged it inot the powered sub. It worked, but I later upgraded my amp and cab which I think works and sounds better.

3. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    ok, cool. But does this sound REALLY bad?

4. No it doesn't sound really bad.

Are you planning on using a POWERED SUBWOOFER or just a subwoofer that you will have to power off of your amp?

Powered sub will give you a lot more bottom end and volume and you could probably decrease the low EQ on your amp thus giving you more headroom thus giving you more volume.

5. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Make sure if you do this that the total load doesn't go below 4 Ohms, the BX3000T won't like it. If your GB is 8, and your sub is 8, you're golden. But, if your GB is 4, you'd best either get another BX to power the sub, or get a powered sub and run it from the effects out send.

6. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Yea, my GB is 8. I wasn't planning on using a powered sub. Now I'm thinking about using the 15 out of my Fender BXR 200 combo, and making my own cabinet. Although if I can find a decent powered sub thats not tooooo much, I'll prolly try that.

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    BTW, just noticed you're in SL, I'm near Kemah. If you're ever in my neck of the woods, PM me and we'll hook up.

8. buffordbass

buffordbass

Nov 11, 2004
    Dallas
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, Lakland Basses
    Or if your BXR is working, just take a line out on the Behringer to the line in on the BXR and run 2 amps, increase your power... the ultimate for a bass player... MORE POWER :bassist:

9. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Buffordbass, I actually did that last night! It sounds pretty good. Alot lower. A 15 under the 4x10 is def. what I'm looking for. I just used the DI out on the Behringer and plugged it into the input on the BXR. But yea..

Bassic83, will do..or if you're ever in my neck of the woods, PM me.

doose

ardor

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I wouldn't cut up the combo
    you can use pa subs for bass (liek in the aboovementioned post where it was suggested you use an 8 ohm sub with your existing 8 ohm cabinet. Most PA subs arent designed to be run full range, but some can sound quite good. Depending upon the cabinet, some really liek a lot of power before they "come alive" I've used pa subs in a pinch with acceptable results.

11. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    Thanks. All I know now is that I need a 15 with my 410 for the sound I'm looking for. What would be a good 1x15 cabinet in the price range of 300-600 dollars? or if not a 15, what would be a decent UNPOWERED PA sub??

12. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Why not stay with the same motif and go with a GB 115? If not, then try Avatar, get a 115 from Dave and you'd be set.

13. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    This is true. By any chance, would you know about how much the GBs are? I got mine for free by the act of trade in.

14. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I can find out for you, but I don't know any dealers in the area offhand. I'll get back to you tonite or tomorrow.

15. I'd say you need the Tuba 24, but unfortunately that has only a 10" driver.

Yes, it may play down to 18hz and have a 110db efficiency, But it only costs a couple hundred to build. Further, it would only be a dedicated sub and would need a 100hz low pass filter.

Yorkie powered subs would be a cool approach to but they only have a 10>

They are cheap, loud and can be tweaked for great low end with virtually any rig. I have had the WM 112 at one time. Good amp but not very loud. The yorkie would have to be very low just to not overpower it. Placement is everything indoors. The yorkies have a single 10" bandpass type and a 210. thye look identical. So I think the 210 may actually be an isobaric-loaded bandpass. AND THEY ARE PORTABLE. they have built in x-overs.

16. ardorx

ardorx

Sep 23, 2004
    Sugar Land, TX
    I think I might do that. Do you know how much or about how much a Gb 115 costs? I got my cab for free from a trade in...