Can I use a power amp with my head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by PollyBass, Dec 16, 2003.

1. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Alright, I think I have asked this question, 100 times, but always in other threads. Since everyone ignored my "Polly needs a new rig" thread, and the question I put at the end of it, I desided that I might as well make a new thread to ask the question that never got answered.

I would like more power. Then get a power amp, right? Well, someone once said none of my connections would "Trigger" a poweramp.

I have,

XLR out(Balanced out), Unbalanced out (1/4), Effects loop, and Bi-Amp outputs.

Could I get a power amp and run it to one cab thats a little power hungry, and run my heads power to the other?

A little help, please?
  2. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    yes line out to the power amp or xlr out.
  3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    if the power amp is like 1500 watts thought and your head is 100 you wont here the spekers driven by the head very well.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Well since your amp doesn't have a "power amp out", we're gonna have to improivise.

Does the XLR output have a switch that lets you swap between "pre and post"? What we need is an output that is after the preamp but before the poweramp section of your head.

A dedicated power amp needs a preamp in front it it to boost the signal a little. Most basses put out under 1 volt. The preamp will bring it above 1 volt and make it strong enough for the power amp to recognise and amplify cleanly.
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well, first of all, thanks for the reply! It has no switch, so I'm guessing it could just be one or the other? If nothing would trigger a power amp, is their anything else I can do? I heared of some people using the effects loop to trigger a power amp? Is it worth the money to buy a power amp now, or should I go "test" my head with other power amps?

I understand it needs to be "pre" and "post", but all it says is what I listed above in my first post... BUT! Someone found me a manual for my head, a LONG time ago, I have since changed computers. Think maybe it might tell me if it's pre or post in there?

Are those ENOUGH questions? (sorry :oops: )
  6. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Polly: What kind of head are you using? That will help a lot of us to know whether or not it will work with the outputs you have.

I have a Trace Elliot AH200 that I use as a preamp by running the Line Out to the power amp and it works just fine. Essentially, it bypasses the existing internal power amp and utilizes only the TE preamp contained therein.

Your 1/4 out should be just fine for this purpose.
  7. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    if your head has a line out of anykind it should do, however, if it is pre eq your tone setting wont be transmitted to the power amp, you could mabye put a sansamp BDDI in there.....
  8. your effects send or tuner out would do as well
    the power amp sees a signal and multiplies it...
    its a question of matching the input level to the output required...the final volume..
    and as stated if you dont get enough signal going in you may have to boost it and then be able to eq as sansamp..
    the xlr on a sansamp is -4dB the jack similarly on your head i assume..?
    so the jack out will give you the best overall signal strength to start with..

9. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    If his profile is up-to-date, he is using a BT350 from Crate.

PollyBass......I am going under the assumption you still use this amp. According to the Crate owners manual, you can use the BT-350 as a pre-amp, and to power the highs in one cabinet. Then add a second power amp for the lows in the other cabinet. If you still have your owners manual, check page 8. If not, follow the link below, and go to page 8. It gives detailed instructions on how to hook it up and everything.
    Crate BT-350 Manual

I hope that helps.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thanks for the help guys! A friend told me to go to the above mentioned website to find out, and I did! I swear I don't know what I'd do without you guys. Thanks for the help, now, just what power amp shall I get? *goes to search*

Thanks again.