1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I use a REDDI into my amp and get real tube amp tone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sparkdog, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Sparkdog

Sparkdog Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    I know the REDDI is really a DI and not a preamp, but I also know that some folks use it as a preamp. In my never ending quest for incredible tone without hauling a mountain of gear around I am wondering what running my bass into a REDDI and then running that into my GK MB212 would give me.

Could I reasonably expect that set-up to give me (in terms of tone) what I would get from a tube amp? I just can't carry around a tube head any more.

The MB212 is 37 pounds and sounds fabulous. I just want MORE :)

I figure if I could put something in front of that amp to give it rich clean tube tone I would pretty much be in heaven.

Note that I am not looking for overdrive or distortion...that's not my thing at all...I want fat clean punchy tone.

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Why not look at a decent quality tube preamp?

3. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Any suggestions for preamps?

Don't want to spend a lot if I can help it (although I know the REDDI is very expensive)

4. svtb15

svtb15 Banned

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    Isnt Bass Player LIVE coming up? Its at SIR in LA.. Peter from REDDI is usually there.. Best play to try that out

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
  6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I believe that people have tried various ways to do this and it doesn't really work. The 1/4" thru is just that. There's no tube goodness, that's just in the XLR.

I think what you want is a good tube preamp.

7. Sparkdog

Sep 18, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    That's what I was afraid of :(

I'm searching but not really finding what I want on TB. Would some of you kindly folks share with me YOUR favorite tube preamp?

(just checked out the Monique and it sounds awesome, but sure is expensive)

8. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hey Moses!

You know, my Summit Audio Tube DI had a "tube through" output that worked as a preamp AND DI. Good price, too.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I threw $400 at this idea (in the form of a Radial mic splitter and reamp box) and failed. The magic just wasn't there going through that stuff.

For me getting a great sound FOH or into a studio console is actually a much bigger issue than getting a great sound out of an amp. What the REDDI does as a DI is so consistently vivid that alone completely justifies having one.

10. Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Yup.

I honestly never tried it as a preamp straight into a power amp, but I ran through another bass amp. Don't remember if the difference was THAT strong, but it's supposed to be a tube thru, which is why there's also a direct out without the color.

The gain knob is REALLY nice, though. Lots of cool features. Another regret of something I wish I didn't sell.

11. Theoretically you could take DI to any decent mini mixer and send to amp's line in. Should be exactly the same as PA as far as the Reddi "knows". Might want an EQ pedal in front.

12. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I roll my own...don't try this at home.;)

Look at the the ART Pro MPA-II and BBE BMax-T as two less expensive possibilities. The Conrad Amps one looks pretty cool too, although I have not heard one yet.

The Monique is actually very fairly priced for what you get, IMHO.

13. That ART one gets a lot of TB praise for cheap tubiness.

14. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Got some great recommemdations here for some very high quality, topnotch preamps.

I'm kind of surprised nobody has mentioned the tried and true sansamp or vt bass preamp pedals mated with a GK. Run them between bass and amp and you can turn it into a good, fat, tube ( emulating :meh: ) machine, and still be able to switch it off and go back to the agressive GK growl sound, if you want to...or not....for stuff that works on.

15. When someone asks about modding a REDDI, sansamps aren't on the menu, as happy as I am with the tubiness V weight factor.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I guess...yeah.

OP's platform is a GK MB212 combo. Good combo, sure, but not exactly in the same league as all this other stuff either.

And that's coming from a guy who likes GK's and plays one all the time.

17. Presently I am digging sfx RedDragon into a GK. Tubilicious growl.

18. S6I6X

S6I6X

Jun 25, 2011
    San Diego
    I had the REDDI with quite a bit of tone shaping things before it when I was touring. I used the XLR as the last point before the FOH and had the 1/4" go into my IEMs so I personally missed a little bit of the tone but the crowd had everything. I had tons of compliments from everyone on my tone the entire time but did I put a lot of time matching everything together. As long as you use the XLR to go into your poweramp I can't imagine why it wouldn't color the tone...you may not love it but it'll definitely change it.

19. I don't think the xlr can drive a power amp, nowhere near it.