Can I use a set of pickups on a different preamp set?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mokey, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Mokey

Mokey

May 19, 2020
    Heyo, so my Warwick Streamer Stage 2 treble/bass knob isn't working anymore and was planning to replace the pots, but I looked into the EMG BQC and seemed pretty good to have a little more midrange play. Is it possible to connect my MEC pickups to the EMG BQC or do I strictly have to use EMG pickups?

2. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    The BQC is intended for active pickups. If the MECs are passive, then the BQC HZ (high impedance, in other words, for passive pickups) functions the same. EMG will include some modular pickup connectors which can be cut and soldered onto your existing pickups' leads to connect to the preamp.

3. Mokey

Mokey

May 19, 2020
    I'm using MEC active pickups. My interest is using the stacked tone knobs such as the treble/bass knob and the mid/mid frequency knob on the EMG BQC, but I'm a little concerned if the pickups are compatible with the eq knobs.

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    EMG says the BQC works with "active pickups", I assume that means any brand of active pickups, not just theirs. The only difference between a passive pickups output and an active pickups output is actives have a lower impedance, so volume, tone and/or blend controls have to be be the appropriate value or they won't work as expected.

You can use the same battery to power both the preamp and active pickups.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021