1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I use an SVT-7PRO with a low wattage cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greggster59, Aug 11, 2012.

1. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    A singer/songwriter friend has is currently working on a self produced CD and has asked various musician friends to collaborate with him on the project.

He's invited me to spend next weekend at his house to work on a couple of the tunes. I will need to bring one of my bass amps, my Eden metro or the 7PRO. They both have DI's which will be used for the recording itself but my friend only has a couple of small PA speakers and a keyboard amp with a 112 cab rated at 200 watts.

I prefer to bring the 7PRO rather than the Eden because I like the tone better but have no room in my car for the 610 cab that goes with it. So, I'm wondering, can I use one of the small cabs my friend has with th 7PRO at low volumes or will the rated power mismatch be an issue?

Since we are not miking the speakers I only need to use the cab as a monitor and I'll be accompanying an acoustic guitar and or piano so I can keep the volume very low.

2. You can pretty much use any cab with any head, just use your ears and dont push it to hard.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Right. Just keep the volume lower than the cab can handle.

4. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Thanks.
    I was hoping I could do this. Just don't want to blow my buddy's speaker.