Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I use CA glue to fill a divot in a poly finish?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jan 7, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I am finishing a bass in spray poly and I noticed a dent in it. The top and back are Very spalted Maple. Can I fill the dent with CA glue then re sand and continue with the poly? Here is a photo of it before I started applying the poly......t

2. If you're asking can you trap the CA between layers of poly...yes, I've done that. As long as it's not a large area it should work well. If it weren't trapped with the top layer, I would recommend against it. If you are using a high solids poly and it's not a deep dent, I might be tempted to try masking it off and just giving that small area several brushings or dabbings of it and then force dry it with a heat source like a hair dryer. If you can get enough build up in that small area with the poly, it would be better than introducing a different material into the coating.

How in the world do you see a dent in that figure? :confused: :D

3. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks 'bone I only have the spray poly and the wipe on poly. I guess I gould try multiple applications of the wipe on? This is my first experiment with Spalted. It is very nice looking but a real pain to work with.

4. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Just checked my wipe on poly..It became a little to "High solid" :eek: Any suggestions for a good poly?....T

5. If you like the liquid types for brush/wipe on, the Verathane products are really good. Or do like I do and invest in a gallon of PPG clear with the activator and solvent. The package will run you about $120 but it will spray a dozen instruments and cure within an hour. It'll look like you poured lead crystal over the body!

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Hm I wish.......When I say spray poly I am referring to spray cans :scowl: It will be a while before I invest in a compresser and spray system. I will see if I can get the Verathane.Thanks .t