Can I use car subs for bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by zeegler, Oct 13, 2006.

1. zeegler

zeegler

Sep 11, 2006
    Welland
    I have a Nemesis NA650 and an Eden D215XLT cab. The cab stays at my drummer's house where we rehearse. I was planning on buying a 210 or something small to use at home, but I cleaned out my garage, and found a car sub box that has a couple of 12" Earthquake subs in it. They are 8 ohms, and rated at 220 watts each. I figure if I build a cab for them, and wire them in parallel (4 ohms) they will make for an acceptable practice cab.

I realize I won't get much high frequencies, but like I said, this will just be for practice.

What do you guys think?

By the way, I'm also looking for instruction on designing a cabinet. If someone has a link, that would be cool.

2. acexxxoasis

acexxxoasis

Apr 12, 2005
    I tried it before and it sucked and started smoking so id say no

3. Just connect them and see what they sound like. If you like it, it´s OK, ha, ha! I have a selfmade case with 2 X 15" Bass Acoustics, 700 watts each. They are suposed to be car speakers, but they sound absolutely spectacular, and have all the high tones that I need. What may make a big diference is the size and the form of the cabinet you want to make. Check the website of the maker and see if they give you any info on that.

4. zeegler

zeegler

Sep 11, 2006
    Welland

Started smoking? Well, I would say there were other issues with your setup then. As long as the speakers can handle the wattage, and they are the correct impedance, then there should be no issue, other than the actual sound of the speakers. In other words, they may not be designed to deliver the optimal frequencies for bass guitar.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

This has come up many times before on TB and the answer is alway - NO!

Basically car speakers are built to the compromise that they will be used in a a very small space -so they won't project sound like you would need in a bass amp!

6. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    You got them, why not give it a try? They will probably be muddy though. Be careful about power ratings. Auto gear is notorious for substantially over rating their products. :rollno: I bet that 220 watt power rating is peak power, meaning they are really rated for 80-100 watts RMS.

7. zeegler

zeegler

Sep 11, 2006
    Welland
    I'm definitely going to give it a try. All I need is info on cabinet design. I have built guitar amp cabs before, but there's a huge difference. Once I have the cab built, I'll try the subs in it, and if I don't like them, I can just buy a couple of Madison bass speakers for it.

8. zeegler

zeegler

Sep 11, 2006
    Welland
    I understand what you are saying, but sound projection won't be an issue because I only intend on using this cab for practice in a small room anyway, and not at high volumes.

9. Sell the car speaker rig and put the money toward bass instrument speakers or a practice combo. IMO you will be happier in the long run.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021