1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I use Crate VFX5112 all tube combo DSP amp to practice bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cadre bassman, Apr 18, 2006.

1. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I'm looking for some great consul on if I could use my friend's Crate VFX5112 all tube combo DSP guitar amp to practice my bass guitar? My bass is a 1979 Ric 4001. I would be playing it at low volumes and don't want to damage his amp. Also, would I get a fair hearing of the low ends from the amp?

Thanks

2. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    Nothing good can come of playing a bass through a guitar amp. It sure won't sound good, and you run a serious risk of blowing the speakers. It's better than nothing, I suppose, but not by much.

3. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I think you would be ok at low volumes and you would get a decent "low volume" sound as well. That may be really stupid advice because I'm no amp expert, but the electric bass was played through guitar amps for years when it first came out.

4. cadre bassman

cadre bassman

May 15, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for the advise. I guess another option would be for me to look for a basic practice amp when I fly into his town. Any recommendations for a good bass amp (including price)that would allow me to have a line in for a CD player as well as a headphone jack?