Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I use Duncan Active P'ups with my Spector Tonepump preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Philthy, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Hey,

I recently picked up a used Spector 5 String NS-5CR (pre Rebop) with Aggie OBP-1 Preamp and Seymour Duncan Basslines Active Soapbars. I have an extra Tonepump preamp at home that I ordered from Spector a while back. Can I use the Duncans with the Tonepump? What will I need to do as far as pot values? I think Duncans use 100K volume pots according to their website schematics. I'm not sure what the value of the OBP-1 volume pots are.

Any ideas? Can I use 25K volume pots with the Duncans? Thanks for your help.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

The only thing I may know about what you're asking is that it seems Aguilar recommends you to stick with the volume pots recommended by the pup manufacturer.

Looks like you'll need to do some footwork. Check out what the Aggie, Spec, and SD sites have to say about what you've got. Contact the manufacturers and do a google search to pickup the rest. You should be able to get what you need through that process.

And somebody may jump in with something useful since you've got another run on page one now.

3. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Well, according to SD's website, the active soapbars use 100K volume pots. I think what I'm going to do is get 2 100K volume pots and try them with my Spector tonepump to see what I get. I also wrote PJ Rubal at Spector to get his input and the thinks if I use the 100K volume pots with the tonepump, I'll be ok. I'll give it a try and post my results. Thanks!!!

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I don't even know what a tonepump is but I'm guessing it's a bass boost. Normally I would have just said hook it up and fire it up cuase I've never smoked any anboard electronics yet - and I've done everything wrong more than once.

But I recently smoked an amp (a first) so I'm a bit gunshy at the moment and I sure don't want to recommend adding sizzle to the sound to somebody else - especially when I don't know what a tonepump is. And mixing and matching stuff geared for particular function is not the same as mixing generic stuff like a Bart pre/whatever that's one size fits all.

To my knowledge, onboard is so low flow current wise that about the only thing you can do to onboard electronics I've heard is run a 9 volt battery straight to some pups and melt them down. I guess some guys have done that to see if their actives or not.

5. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    A tonepump is the on board preamp that Spector uses in their Euro basses. Similar to the OBP-1 in the respects that it's treble and bass boost only.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Okay,

I've heard the term but never paid much attention. In fact I had a Check Spec that probably had one but didn't have it long enough to find out.

Yep, hook it up and see what it does. Seems Aguilar may have suggestions for tone controls for their pre's but it's been a while since I've been on that site so not sure.

7. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Well, I've done a little more research and I think the Tonepump should work with the Duncans. According to Duncans website, their tone circuits use 100K volume pots (or 100K blend pots with a 10K master volume) along with 100K bass and treble pots. I took a look at the tonepump and they also seem to have 100K bass and treble pots. So, it is very possible this will work.

Now to throw even more of a twist on things, I opened up the Spector and took a look at the Aguilar and the two volume pots that are Gibson volume pots. They do not have a value on them either. However, they work and sound fine.

Very weird. But, nonetheless, I'm going to experiment with the preamps and pickups.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

A 250K (whatever) pot is basically a 250K pot. If those are Gibson, I'd speculate 250K or 500K assuming a passive instrument.

You can determine values with a meter but to my knowledge all the leads have to be free.

Clarification: that is a 250K audio. Linear and audio pots are definetly different but even that only matters when used for volume, tone it doesn't matter and manufacturers use audio for tone pots all the time.

9. Philthy

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Ok, I wired it all up (spector tonepump with 100K audio tapers for volume pots) and it works and sounds good. So, the 100K volumes with the Duncan active soapbars are correct. Thanks to all that replied with help and advice.