Can I use effect return as standard line-in?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rkrkrkkrr, Jun 29, 2020.

1. rkrkrkkrr

rkrkrkkrr

Jan 11, 2020
    I ordered Markbass 121h and it arrives tomorrow.

However in all my haste about the very good deal I did not notice that it does not have line-in for practising.

I wondered can I use effect return instead of line-in?

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Generally not, because the loop is serial and plugging into the return disconnects the source (bass) from the signal path.

Zbysek and rkrkrkkrr like this.
  3. Some of Markbass are a bit weird in the loop dept.

Zbysek and rkrkrkkrr like this.
  4. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    If you have a small mixer you can combine the Send and the aux signal back into the return.

12BitSlab, rkrkrkkrr and agedhorse like this.
  5. rkrkrkkrr

rkrkrkkrr

Jan 11, 2020
    To answer myself.

This version has "paralel" effect loop by default. So one can use effect loop in as aux in. I tested it and it works great.

Paralel effect loop allows 50% of the pure input sound and 50% of sound with effects.

There is a possibility to move two inside dip switches which will make effect loop to be serial.

Zbysek and agedhorse like this.
  6. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    With a parallel loop, this is possible, most loops are generally series.

In your case, it worked because the loop is parallel, an exception to the generality.

Zbysek likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022