1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

can i use electrolytic capcitors in a tone circuit?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by vindy500, Oct 23, 2006.

1. can i use electrolytic capcitors in a tone circuit?

2. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
    Can?

Probaby.

Should?

Probably not. I assume you mean aluminum electrolytic caps which are very high capacitance values. You are looking for 0.047uF or 47nF (same thing) which is more suited for a film or ceramic cap. Film is better quality and without going into a diseration on which ceramics are good and which should be avoided, just go for film (polypropylene and polyester are the same thing). If you do go ceramic COG or NPO are preferred but only come in low capacitance values. X7R is usable. Stay away from the rest.

Dave

3. im talking about these ones
    [​IMG]

its 0.1uf which i have been lead to believe has a wider range of tone.

4. xyllion

xyllion Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You can use that. However, be aware that if you get a ground loop or something through your gear and you exceed the voltage rating on it, then it can also become a weapon.

5. bah its under plastic, ill be safe ;) what way would i orientate it?

6. alright now my bass gives output for the first time in a month :) but the nut broke :(

7. wpkg

wpkg

Sep 22, 2006
    bloomfield, nj
    I would use anything other than a ceramic cap. they really do suck. once I replaced mine the tone got way smoother.

8. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    My addition in bold.
    Been through the cap testing and substitution in a number of different circuits and manners over many years. I avoid both of these types wherever possible in a series signal path.

For those interested, here are the articles that started questioning capacitor sonics.
    http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Picking_Capacitors_1.pdf
    http://waltjung.org/PDFs/Picking_Capacitors_2.pdf

9. so you're saying i shouldn't of used the one i did?

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    No, I'm saying I have a strong preference for other types, based upon many years of testing and measuring in a much more repeatable way than using a bass guitar. The closer to the source, and the lower in level the signal, the stronger my preference is against these two types, unless you are looking for a particular sonic artifact. The articles linked were to save a lot of typing and arguing as Walt Jung has excellent technical credentials.

11. ok most of it went over my head :) question, would changing the capacitor reduce hum? the cylinder one is in at the mo

12. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    Well if both ceramic and electrolytic capactors are bad for tone, then what exactly is the right capacitor to use ?

13. DavePlaysBass

DavePlaysBass

Mar 31, 2004
    CO
  14. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Any metalised film or film/foil. Polypropylene or polyester are fine. Sprague Orange drops (716P) are very nice for the money.