1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I use EMG pickups with stock pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Orion27, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Orion27

Orion27

Nov 12, 2018
    I am buying a 2001 Ibanez SR405. The stock pickups are passive and the rest of the electronics are active. If I install an EMG 40DC and 40CS, can I use the stock pots?

2. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Flossin'? I thought your name was Munson!

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Hipshot
    You should be able to, but the pots may not have much range beyond on and off. Also, depending on the pot values, you may have more or less treble output compared to the ones that come stock with the pickups.

3. As above, I would say you CAN use the stock pots, but the results may not be the best. They may be good enough, however. Are you considering using only the stock pots, or the entire active electronics package? To my knowledge EMG pickups have an internal preamp and do not need another.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    You can put wooden wheels on your car. It will work, but probably not nearly as well as the tires it was designed for.

Current EMGs come with all the right pots, and the solderless connectors make it a doddle to install. Not sure why you’d even want to use the old ones...

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    GlassToMouth likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Someone should have looked up the wiring diagram before putting their hat in.

You can, because the pots aren't directly connect to the pickups in a 2001 SR405:

W97039.gif

gebass6 likes this.
  6. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Gah! I hate it when that happens!

Now the task becomes one of running 9v to each EMG pickup. Shouldn’t be too hard...

RyanOh likes this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

It's more common with BTBs, to have the balance & volume controlled at the preamp, but not unheard of on a SR.

8. Killed_by_Death

It's not much of a problem & not the question asked.
    There's already a battery in there.

9. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Just use the battery bus that should be supplied with the pickups.

10. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I use 500k pots with EMG JAX on one of my basses...it works fine.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021