Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I use guitar effect pedals..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Airsick Pilot, Sep 4, 2002.

1. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    ...on basses?Just wondering because I find it pretty difficult to find bass effect pedals. Recently my friend popped over at my house with his Danelectro distortion pedal. Tried it with my bass. Worked. Theres distortion! Now I'm wondering if what I did was appropriate.

Anyone?

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Only if you promise to post in the right forum. :D

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Yes and no

Yes-you can use any effect on any instrument or even microphone if you want.

No-many guitar effects especially distortion have little or no bass response.

Rule of thumb if it sounds good (to you) do it. One thing to keep in mind is that if you and your guitarists are distorted things get very ....distorted.

4. bobthebassist

bobthebassist

Feb 12, 2002
    Britain
    Sure.

Only prob is you'l probably spend more on it. To get a good bass reponse on a guitar pedal you'l need a hi qualit one. I use a guitar dist. ped. but it cost me £80 UK (about $130 US) so more than a normal bass ped. It's a zoom tri metal. Look at web reveiws for more info; i'm a lazy git!

Don't use a guitar EQ though 'cos it just won't give enough response.

Other than that, go for it.

5. I have used the BOSS Metal Zone and Hyper Metal.
    It went alright, but back then I was a guitarist wannabe, now I'm exclusivly to bass distortions to get more low end.

As for modulation effects, they go all pretty well on bass, except for choruses.
    I tried the BOSS ones for guitars, and it couldn't handle it. But the new twin pedal seems to work for many bassist.

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I use a Korg ax1000g multi effects pedal and its great there are a few effects that don't work or are just crap but just your usual multi fx types.

What doesn't work well is:
    compressor
    octaver
    acoustic simulator
    pitch bend (Works and tracks ok just totally use less on bass I feel)
    Thats about it really.

Alot of people use guitar effects like the big muff, proco rat, line6 stompers.