Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I use guitar tuners on a bass guitar?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rubo, Nov 22, 2004.

1. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    I'm trying to compensate on weight as much as possible to avoids neck dive, that's after moving the strap buttons. I was wondering if any one tried to use guitar tuners one a bass guitar. I know Hipshot makes small bass tuners, and these hold up pretty well. So what if we go even smaller, will that be strong enough to hold bass strings. Or I can modify the guitar tuner by gluing some round wood circles on it, so it's thicker and less circles for strings.

Cheers

2. I don't think you can use guitar tuners, I don't think they're strong enough to hold down the strings. I'm pretty sure Schaller makes really light tuners. Carl Thompson uses them specifically because they are light.

3. I'd say the guitar tuners are just to small, the bass strings plain out wouldn't fit on them IMO.

4. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Is Schaller lighter then HipShot?

5. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    Kubicki uses what appears to be guitar tuners (at least the tuning key part) on his keyfactor series:

[​IMG]

6. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    Do you know what brand, or these are made at their factory?

7. hippiesandwich

hippiesandwich

Aug 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Affiliated with Looperlative Audio Products
    According to the Kubicki website they are "custom" Schallers. I briefly owned a Keyfactor 5, I seem to recall that they were bass shafts with guitar sized tuning keys.

8. rubo

rubo

Aug 25, 2003
    So if its custom made for them, it will be imposible to get or will cost me too much. I'm wondering why nobody tried to make tuners from Graphite or Kevlar, it's very strong material, but lighter then metal.

Cheers

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Most likely that the tooling/fabrication costs would be outrageously expensive and the weight savings negligible when compared to Hipshot Ultralites. In effect, the cost-to-weight savings ratio wouldn't be worth it, both for the builder and the added cost passed on to the consumer.

You can always contact Phil Kubicki and ask him about them. I've found that the smaller builders are much more approachable and willing to help a player out, either by referring his source to you or by acting as a middleman and selling you from his stock*. Be aware, however, that he most likely purchases in bulk and receives a discounted cost as such. If possible for you to purchase a single set directly from the manufacture, it very well might be cost-prohibitive.

*Please note I'm not speaking for Phil Kubicki in this, and have no personal dealings with him. I'm simply making a generalization on smaller luthiers I've had dealings with.

10. My fault...Carl Thompson also uses Sperzel tuners...he says Schaller's are good too though...He says the Sperzel's are nice and light

11. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Hofner has always used guitar tuners, as has Jerry Jones.

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    If the tuner holes are already drilled in the headstock, you're screwed... Besides, I seriously doubt you're going to get an E string to fit thru a guitar tuner.