Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I use my 5.1. Subwoofer as an AMP?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ranger23, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Ranger23

Ranger23

Sep 30, 2005
    Hello

I got a question concerning the usage of a subwoofer for E-Bass amplification.

I since a this month I live in rented apartment and cannot use my Fender, Peavy Amplification cause it's to big for my apartment. At my parents house this was no problem.

Now, I want to know if it is possible to amplify the Bass through my 5.1 Subwoofer System. I thought of only plugging the Subwoofer in. The Woofer got 110 Watts. (its the Concept E from Teufel) What do you think of this.

Do I also need an external amplifier, or would i just damage my Subwoofer by making such experiments?

thanks for answers

Ranger23

2. e7h3r

e7h3r

Mar 28, 2002
    south africa
    I've used 2.1 PC speakers for bass before, it was fine, sounded quite good in fact. You don't need to disconnect the speakers even. You will probably needa stompbox or something to get the signal to the right level - plugging the speakers directly into your bass won't work. I used a cheapo Korg multi-fx.

3. ras1983

ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    i run my bass through my stereo all the time if i'm just learning the modes of bues songs, etc. Its the same as using a monitor, but its not a monitor, it is a speaker without a flat response. You need to be careful with the volume on your bass, don't have it too high or you could blow the input to your stereo. Also, if you use the mic line you need to be careful woth the level of that also.