1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I use my 700w2x10 extension with my SVT 5 Pro in Bi amp mode?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eedwards7891, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017
    I recently acquired a SVT 5 Pro and a 4x10 hartke cab . They both work .

The SVT, to my knowledge, is capable at running at 500w on bi amp mode . The amp is capable of handling a 2 ohm load .

The hartke cab (hartke xl 4x10 , 500w at 8 ohms) sounds good, but doesnt have the midrange or low end my fender rumble has.

The rumble runs at 700w program, 350 continuous , at 8 ohms

The hartke xl runs at 400w at 8 ohms

The svt 5 pro has a variety of settings but I am not sure how to run it at 8 ohms only , for the 205 its rated for . I attached an image of the ampeg svt 5 pro specs.

Basically, I'm getting another cab (ampeg hlf 4x10 or 6x10), but I want to play this new head in the meantime . Would running these two cabs together with the svt 5 pro head damage the head or cabs? Thank you for your time

Attached Files:

2. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017
    Additionally, it's my understanding that as long as the head is capable of running at a lower ohm rating than the total of the cabs , either added together in series or individually in parallel , it will not damage the head but only cause the amp to be quieter?

3. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    First things first, the way you're phrasing things makes me think you don't have a good grasp of how ohms work. Read the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Saying a cab "runs at 400w at 8 ohm" doesn't make sense. Cabs don't "run at" anything. The cab presents an 8 ohm load to the amp and probably won't be destroyed by a 400W signal.

The short answer to your question is yes, just plug the rumble cab into either bi-amp jack and don't worry about it. You can also safely use both cabs at once, plugging one into each biamp jack.

The longer answer is that you have two 8 ohm cabs and a head with two solid state power amps inside. The head is powerful enough to damage the speakers in either of those cabs in mono mode if you turn it up too loud. Don't do that. You could probably run both cabs together off the mono bridge output of the head without damaging them, but you should carefully listen for signs of speakers in distress. Regardless, it won't damage the head, as the total load will be 4 ohm.

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  4. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    It will be absolutely fine! I am not sure if the volume difference will be significant between the 2 Cabs though.

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  5. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017

I honestly don't, haha! This is my first big rig , and I have a ton of questions, haha! Your answer and sticky are very helpful, thank you for your time

6. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Having those questions is good. Much better to ask rather than damaging equipment by plugging things in the wrong way. Those SVTs get confusing because of the mono/stereo stuff.

The big thing with it, though, is that since it's a non-tube power amp you don't have to worry about 4 vs 8 vs 16 ohms. Just plug in and it works. Tube amps will have switches or different plugs for different ohms.

Eedwards7891 likes this.
  7. Eedwards7891

Eedwards7891

Dec 11, 2017

Ok. I was under the impression it tubes in it somewhere , haha. Regardless, this thing sounds KILLER, and I want to make sure I dont mess it or my cabs up .

8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It has a tube in the preamp. But the power section is transistor.

Eedwards7891 likes this.