can i use my amp head as a preamp to a power amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mastadulog, Feb 10, 2003.

1. mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    i'm sorry, this might sound like a stupid question but i was wondering if it was possible.
  2. ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Maybe. It depends on the make and model. Some are wired for it and some are not.
  3. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If it has an effects loop, you can run an instrument cable from the Effects Send of the head to the Input of the power amp... voila!

4. bassotus

Nov 24, 2002
    I'm currently running a similar setup; feeding the power amp from the FX send of my Trace Elliot head. Just check that your send level is enough to drive the power amp (TE head has a selectable effects send level between -10dbv/+4dBu, and I have to turn it all the way up to give high enough signal level for the power amp)..

5. Some heads have a preamp out jack that you can send to another poweramp, but I'm assuming yours doesn't or you'd have thought of that.
  6. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    There are two things that you need for this to be successful:

1. You need a preamp output

2. Your head needs to be designed to allow it to operate without a load attached. Many of the vintage tube amps would burn up if not attached to a speaker cabinet.
  7. i have a GK 250 BL head could that be plugged into a power amp
  8. You can run out of your effects loop "send" to your poweramp input on most "modern" heads, it's true.

I had to have my TE head modded, incidentally, to get enough line voltage (from the 'line-out' jack) to run into my Crest FA901. I've been told by a Trace tech that that's a "common" problem...

9. mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    im guess im lucky. i have an effects send and return jack which is basically the same thing. now, do i have to modify it or anything like the guy with the trace elliott did? if so, how much did that cost?
  10. mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    i also just read the manual, and the effects send is rated at 0 dBm.
  11. mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    disregard the previous post. i read it wrong. but i do have another question. can i include a bass pod pro in this setup? i have two theories behind this.

bass--->bass pod pro to the input--->hartke ha-2000 out the effects send--->qsc power amp

bass--->bass pod pro to the effects return--->hartke ha-2000 out the effects send--->qsc power amp
  12. If you run your bass pod into the effects return jack and plan on lining out to a power amp from the effects send I'm fairly sure that won't work.

If you were running just the head the chain would be bass -> preamp -> send -> return -> poweramp.
    If you run the bass pod into the effects return it will not have any effect on the signal coming from the effects send.
  13. I just hit the wrong button and lost my post.:bawl: !

'Kay. Life is short: Try using the effects loop if you don't have a dedicated line-out. And remember, Grasshopper...

BASS> FX (Pod)> INPUT(your 'preamp')> FX SEND> POWERAMP. You could put the Pod between the FX SEND and the POWERAMP, also.

If this a no worky, then I'm pretty much out of useful, relevant information.

Now let's get out there and have a good attitude!

14. mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    is it safe to put the bass pod pro between my 'preamp' and my bass? i dont wanna mess up anything or pay for repairs
  15. I'm not familiar with the bass pod but I can't see how putting it between your bass and preamp would cause any damage. Just plug it in and if it sounds good go with it.

Depending on the type of effects you plan to use, I like Stewbone's idea of putting the pod between the FX send and the poweramp you will be running into.

EDIT: Just saw the pod mentioned in the preamp thread, is it used mainly as a preamp? If so just run your bass into that and then into the poweramp.
  16. mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    no, i am using the bass pod pro for fx only
  17. mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    or does anyone know where i can get my amp modified?
  18. I'd call the manufacturer of your amp and tell them the situation- they know your piece and can probably steer you in the right direction. Maybe there's more than one option.

19. mastadulog

Jan 13, 2003
    NYC fo sheezy
    has anyone had their amp modified to have a preamp-out installed? if so, how much would it cost?