1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I use my amp's line out to power a floor monitor?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by sabbath09, Mar 11, 2010.

1. sabbath09

sabbath09

Mar 11, 2010
    Hello,

First of all, this is my 1st post on this beautiful website. Nice to meet you all.:hyper:

Ok so this is my situation. I own a Acoustic B200H (link below) with a matching 4X10 cabinet.
    http://www.acousticamplification.com/products/b200h.cfm

I can't always hear myself at practice because our drummer plays like a sasquatch. So in hopes of changing this I turn my volume up to 9 or 10 from where I usually have it at 7-8. It seems that doing that only adds gain to my sound and not volume. So I have been looking into floor monitors and such in hopes of addressing the issue.

Would it be possible to hook up an unpowered floor monitor via my head's XLR Direct Line Out or would I need to buy a powered floor monitor?

Any help would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
    Sabbath09

2. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    You would need a powered monitor.

3. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    You could run an unpowered monitor from one of your speaker outs as long as it is 8ohms. You would be better off with another cab.

4. ^ or a new drummer.

5. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
    Absolutely yes, as long as the monitor is self-powered. Line out produces very little power.

If things are that loud in practice, get a pair of 20db earplugs & turn up the mid- frequencies on your amp. You will hear everything better for a long time. :cool:

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Semi-retired member Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Masks, people, masks!
    +1 on the ear plugs.
    +1 on another stackable cab.

Also get your amp off the ground to ear level. Running your amp at full out is the quickest way to blow it and/or the speakers.

You can also get some sound board (cheap at big box hardware stores) and put up some sound barriers around the drummer. Works very well.

7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    right. a monitor is not what you need, rather a second bass cab, or a quieter drummer.

8. often times all the volume increase is in the first part of the control.....lots of amps are sold because of the wow factor that comes from the amount of volume they get at "only at ten o'clock".....so by the time they are at 3 o'clock you are already wfo.....but yeah get it up closer to ear height

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

This is a good use for solid state guitar amps.. cheap.. go preamp out into the solid state amp.

OR turn down.

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA

:eek: Are you turning your AMP up to 9/10?!?!

If that's the case, you clearly don't have enough "amp" for your situation.

11. It sounds like you're practicing at stage volume levels. Have the drummer lighten up a little or get the sound board / plexiglass for the drummer.

12. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Your bass rig is for providing stage volume. If you use a wedge for bass and your bass amp, you will do one of these bad things:
    1) Introduce phase cancellations from two separate LF sources
    2) Blow the floor wedge with bass frequencies it can't handle

13. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    The correct solution is to have everyone in the band (including the drummer) playing at the same reasonable volume level. Buy an SPL meter and check each players' sound levels individually. My classic rock band measures continuously about 105 db @ 2 meters (peaks maybe 110 db) for each instrument. Start with the powered instruments - bass, guitar(s), keys and vocals (PA) and when you've finished setting everyone at the same level have the drummer play just loud enough to be heard when everyone is playing at the same time. If you do this, the entire band should be at an ambient level in the room of around 110 db continuous. Also everyone will be able to hear themselves, comfortably (it's still recommended to wear earplugs).

For this to work, everyone needs to be on board with the idea of limiting volume and going by the SPL meter and have enough discipline to resist reaching back to turn up the volume in order to get "more me". And the drummer needs to change his attitude toward the purpose of volume.

P.S.
    Good luck talking your band mates into this scheme. My experience is that most musicians don't like working this way, no matter that it results in better sound for everyone.

14. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    +1 to everything.

But +7 to turning up your mids. You will be able to hear yourself better without being louder.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    BTW, the answer is no.

16. +1

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 25, 2020