1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I use my Bass AMP and Cab as a sort of mini PA?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by LowDown Hal, Aug 30, 2008.

1. If so, should I run the main mix out into the effects return of the amp. Or, should I just jack into the front panel 1/4" input? Both approaches seem to work?

I just bought an Alesis Multimix8 Firewire to utilize as a practice/learning tool.
    http://www.alesis.com/multimix8firewire

The idea is to run the output from the mixer into my LMII and have a nice portable, well contained unit which allows for a recording device (laptop), bass, guitar, microphone, MP3 whatever, etc.

THANKS

2. Lowtrac

Lowtrac

Dec 13, 2006
    Senoia, GA

Sure. I have a little Behringer mixer hooked to my rig, so I plug my guitars into that. I've got my computer plugged into the "tape" input on the mixer so I use it to play music all the time.

3. Do you jack the main out from the mixer to the instrument in on the amp? Or, what?

4. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    I use my bass amp as a PA or monitor very often.

My bass amp is a RCF ART310A. :smug:

5. DocBop

DocBop

Feb 22, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you go into the instrument input your going thru the amp's pre-amp and probably adding more noise. If you plug into the effects return that should be connecting to power amp stage of the amp and probably better sounding. The both are legit ways to do it, so it's up to you.

6. Well, I think what's been throwing me off is a thermal problem in the Mixer's electronics. I'll be exchanging it tomorrow.

What happens is : I start out with everything jacked in and ready to go. All is fine for approx. 20 minutes. Then I get an AWFUL screech explosion sounding cacaphony of bad. I shut it all down wait abit and it is okay again for a short period.

Double checked all conenctions. Tried jacking to a different amp. Tried cutting all volumes real low. All with repetitive results. Finally unplugged almost everything except one bass, which I wasn't even playing. Sure enough same results.

Hopefully when I get the replacement tomorrw it really is equipment failure and not operator error. Then all well be right with the world.

Actually I can even except operator error. When someone (could even be me) can identify the issue, then it can be fixed.

l8r,

7. my07bass

my07bass

Aug 27, 2008
    are you connecting the bass directly into the mixer or through a direct box? I'm wanting to do the same thing so I can input a mp3 player to the mixer also then play both the bass and the mp3 player through my bass amp (Ampeg SVT 4pro). Does anyone else know the easiest way to do this? BTW, I'm not wanting to record, only to be able to play along with my iPod and hear both the bass and iPod through my bass rig.

8. It turns out that the Alesis was defective. I got the replacement yesterday and everything started to work like I expected it to. Tomorrow, or Friday, I'll be interfacing the firewire.

9. I've done it direct to the mixer. I've also left the bass plugged into the input and the mixer jacked into the effect return.

If all you want to do is interface the IPOD I believe you should be able to just jack into the return effect plug.