Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can i use powered pickups, with no power source

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Frei-bag bass, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Frei-bag bass

Frei-bag bass

Jul 16, 2005
    i have these old powered pickups from an ibanez, but i dont have the battery will they be defunct, or maybe quiet?
    it seems like a stupid question, but just trying to save some money, without soltering it up

2. neatobassman

neatobassman

Jul 16, 2005
    Antelope CA
    well, if they are active, than they wont work without a battery.

3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    They will work, but they'll have extremely low output.
    Batteries will not break you budget :rolleyes:

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

actives without a battery will vary - from about barely audible to distinctly audible. Regardless, it wouldn't be anything useable and they probably wouldn't be much different than you'd get from playing the bass unplugged.

5. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Shell out the 5 dollars and buy a stupid battery....

6. Frei-bag bass

Frei-bag bass

Jul 16, 2005
    i wont comment on the rudeness; but i was interested, due to the space (that i dont have) and skipping the extra setup, because i dont like saultering(sp) and anything more confusing than it has to be.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

do you know for a fact the pups are active? Do they have 3 leads, typically including one red? There are as many players that don't know an active from a passive pup as who do. If they read a resistance of 6K ohms or more on a meter they're definetly not actives. In production terms, chances are slim they're actives but that doesn't mean they're not.

Also, you don't have to use a typcial 9V battery. Any battery they puts out about 9V at the required miliamps that you can rig connections to will work. I just recieved an old active harness that had a couple 3V "watch" batteries about the size of two nickels combined. They make millions of battery's and you shouldn't have a problem locating one that would work no matter how small the control bay. Also you have to have a stereo jack for actives so if you're jack doesn't have 3 terminals it will have to be replaced to use active pup.

There's no way around solderng or hassles if you're going to be dinking with electronics on a bass.