1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can I use the "power amp in" for external cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nfgrufio, Sep 26, 2008.

1. nfgrufio

nfgrufio

Jan 22, 2005
    Hey guys,
    I have a brand new Aguilar ag500 and was wanting to try it out but dont currently have any of my cabs with me. Is it possible to somehow play with the head using the "power amp in" or any other input on a Fender Bass Combo? The combo does not have a external cab feature :(

Thanks guys!

2. I think the only way for you to hear the AG500's pre is to use the AG's preamp out and go into the Fenders main input.

I'm not sure if you could use the power amp in as I don't know how the ohmage would work out with the AG. Don't wanna fudge anything up.

3. nfgrufio

nfgrufio

Jan 22, 2005
    Is the preamp out section dubbed something different? i dont see any preamp out on the ag500

4. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Not worth the trouble.

You will only be hearing the AG500's preamp section, not its power section. Aside from verifying that the preamp works, you will not be hearing the amplifier's true sound.

5. nfgrufio

nfgrufio

Jan 22, 2005
    i always thought that was only amp that were tube or had a tube power section. This one is all SS, so doesnt that mean it doenst need a dummy load?

6. RTL

RTL House Chicken Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Leander, TX
    "Power Amp In" on a Fender isn't an input for an external amplifier, it's an input ON the front side of the power amp. You'd plug a preamp into that - nothing else. DO NOT plug the speaker output on the AG500 into that.. You're almost guaranteed to blow something up.

You probably shouldn't use the preamp out by itself on the AG500 either. Most amplifiers will suffer irreversible damage to their power sections if there's no load on them. Some manufacturers (Like Ashdown) put a "Dummy Load" on the power section when there's no speakers plugged into the head, but I don't think that's the case with the Aguilar - more than likely it'll go into protection mode.

7. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    Not true - as long as the AG500 doesn't have an output transformer it can run forever without a load.

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Let's be clear about this - are you asking if you should plug the speaker output of one amp head into the input of the power amp of the combo? That's a bit like asking whether you can install an extra V8 engine halfway along your exhaust pipe.

I think I must have misunderstood your question.

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

What problem are you trying to solve here? Hearing the Aggie's true tone? If so, this test will give you more of the Fender combo speaker than anything.

The Aggie's SS output doesn't need a speaker load. You could probably patch its Aux-Send output to the Fender's power-amp input.

But you still won't hear how the Aguilar's power section handles a speaker load, which could be part of its tone.

If you're trying to test if the Aggie functions, then it would be foolish to not test its power section. Find a cab, plug in, and verify everything works.

10. nfgrufio

nfgrufio

Jan 22, 2005
    hey guys, thanks for all the responses. I didnt end up trying anything because i didnt want to mess up the amp, im just gonna head to guitar center and mess around with it.

THANKS!!