Can I Use This Power Amp For Bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xsogol, Sep 13, 2005.

1. I know this is going to sound like a stupid newb question ('cause I am one), but can I use this power amp (see link below) for bass:

QSC RMX850 Stereo Power Amp

The feedback seems to be predominantly from DJs....I have no idea if this means it can't be used for bass or not....figured I'd ask. Please give me ideas for good power amps in this price range if you could.

Here's what I'd like to do for a mini rig (please tell me if this is dumb):

- SansAmp BDDI
    - Power Amp
  2. The power amp will work alrighty, but I don't think the BDDI is strong enough to drive the QSC. You'll probably need to get a real preamp.
  3. The RMX series is widely used for bass applications. I believe the price to performance ratio is very good with the RMX. I use an old USA series with my rig with excellent results.

A lot of people talk about the PLX series being better because they are lighter but no one has made any claims that the PLX sounds any better than the RMX. In fact it may be argued that the RMX sounds a little better.

The features are well suited for bass. Limiter, Hi pass filter selectable 30hz or 50hz to save your ported cabs and increase amp efficiency, bridgable.

I recommend it but keep in mind that the RMX 1450 is only $100 more.
  4. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If the SABDDI is one of the newer ones that let you select between line and instrument output level, you shouldn't have any issues with it driving the power amp.
  5. I used to run a Sansamp with my power amp and it is true that the Sansamp doesn't supply enough signal on its own to fully drive the power amp but I found that a rack mount EQ with gain control made up the difference. This was a great sounding inexpensive rig and I wish I still had the Sansamp. Very useful little box.
  6. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    It would sound GREAT for bass. I have one and use it for p.a. monitors but I have used it for bass and it does an excellent job. Plus I have heard of lots of guys who use it in their rig.

You will need to get a couple of speakon to 1/4 adapters unless you have a speakon cable but they are very easy to be had.

Your BDDI may or may not have enough juice to power a amp by itself. The new versions will. The have an extra selector switch just for that but the older ones will struggle a bit at higher volumes.

Personally I prefer twelves or 15's but if a 210 will do it for you, GO FOR IT!!

Honestly, what you have picked out will be a killer mini rig as long as the BDDI is a newer version.

Have fun!

7. 8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    I used one as a slave amp for my Ampeg 3 pro & then sold it to a guy that uses it with an Ampeg SVP Pro. it sounded good to me and was also plenty loud for me. i think its plenty of power for a 210 cab. Its been awhile, but i think it also has banana plugs along with speakon for speaker outputs
  8. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    That's right. I forgot about the banana plug/binding posts. I use either 1/4 cables or for my PLX2402 I use speakons most of the time.