Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can I volunteer for cloning?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Beefbass, Dec 29, 2002.

1. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Hey, as I'm sure everyone's heard, a human has supossedly been cloned. A lot of people aren't happy about human cloning, but thats not what this is about actually.
    What I wanted to know was-if noted scientists ever decided to do this, do you think I could volunteer? I figure the only problem is, what to call him. Mini-beef?

Gee, I guess I shouldn't be allowed to have too much time on my hands, huh??

Yeah actually, I could see it now; something would go wrong, and Mini-beef would end up being a drummer!! :eek:

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    if you go to the wingnut's website who claims to have made the clone - www.clonaid.com - and hunt around, you see that this jerkoff thinks he's some kind of prophet for a new religion involving ufos and alien clones.

maybe they'll all off themselves like the heaven's gate dumbasses did.

3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Did you see this woman on the TV news at all? I caught it early Saturday morning, before going to work.
    She does IMO seem like someone definetly not of this world, thats for sure!!

But like the science community has stated; where's the proof? Or, where's the "Beef?"

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, aren't these people of the belief that we are all alien clones or something...too many mudvayne videos...i saw the guy that is apparently the leader of this cult, or whatever, and i am of the opinion that they leave a lot to be desired as far as their medical/scientific backgrounds are concerned. i'm sure you can volunteer, though...me? i wouldn't want to contaminate the gene pool more than i already have... :D

5. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, i saw that woman - i liked her hair. too bad they didn't clone her a wig as well. :rolleyes: :D

6. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    freeeeeeeeakyyyyyyyyyyy....................

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Funny thing-she actually looks sort of like my land lady. Hmmmm................ Guess I'd better lock the doors at night. :D

8. Those guys are total quacks. Some people just shouldn't breed (or clone, i suppose for this case) :D

9. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    LOL they certainly do seem a little strange. I'm gonna be surprised if they pull the rabbit out of the hat. The guy that runs the cult looked like such a freak in that outfit. And how bout his hair?

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well....Yes - if you are a woman of child-bearing age and are prepared to have the cells implanted into your womb to grow as a baby!!

I think the whole "outrage" thing is quite funny - as far as I can see it is no different to having a test-tube baby and loadsof women have given birth to these - just because it has no natural father, why get all upset about it!! ?? :rolleyes:

11. Originally posted by Bruce Lindfield

I think the whole "outrage" thing is quite funny - as far as I can see it is no different to having a test-tube baby and loadsof women have given birth to these - just because it has no natural father, why get all upset about it!! ??

I think a lot of people of various denominations get upset about this is because it makes the separation between man and "God" that much narrower.

12. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think the outrage in the scientific community is based on the fact that we don't understand genetics sufficiently to determine with any reasonable expectation of certainty that a cloned human will live a life free from genetic defects and diseases.

13. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Plus with more clones we'll probably need more SUV's to carry the extra people around.

ho hO HO!

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

But there are lots of problems with fertility treatments, like test-tube babies - unwanted or premature mutiple births etc etc.

But childless couples are prepared to put up with anything for the sake of a chance at getting children - the same will happen with cloning - it is just a way for a couple where the man is completely infertile, to have children that are not made with sperm donated from somebody else.

That means there is no possibility for the child to be seen as somebody else's later on - it is entirely their's - well at least the mother's - and there can be no embarassing questions like "who's my real daddy?" ;)

15. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think the possibility of genetic defects which could become apparent later in life outweigh the certainty that comes from tracing the origin of cells.

shoot, i've never met or seen my biological father, and my occasional curiosity is never that pressing. i'd much rather it be that way then have the possibility of having some kind of previously unknown genetic failing when i get older.

16. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    *JT, if you are offended please delete my post.*

For some reason, this part of your post, in this thread, got me to thinking that if you were a clone, would make your father "Boba Fet"?

Sorry ... I know I'm a Sci-Fi-Geek. ;)

17. supergreg

supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
  18. john turner

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    gabriel, you'd have to go a lot further than that to offend me :D

either boba or jango. hey, there's an idea for a new avatar. :D

19. My big objection to cloning humans is the near certain illegal and unpreventable abuse of it, you know where you clone someone, then kill the clone and take their organs.

20. OneCoolDog

OneCoolDog

Oct 15, 2002
    Alabama, USA
    Only bad thing is, there's some people who's genes don't need to be passed on. I'd rather exchange a clone of myself for a deal for them not to clone some people lol. .. Besides, one of me is bad enough.