Can I wax my Warwick with...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by K-Funk, Feb 6, 2009.

1. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    something other than Warwick's beeswax? I can't seem to find any around here, but my dad has plenty of beeswax hanging around from other woodworking projects (straight from the bees, not in a can).

Can I use this wax, or should I dig around more for Warwick's wax? If I use the beeswax I already have, would I have to mix it with anything?

2. Hey, not sure what everyone else will say but my brother had a maple top warwick years ago and he used to wax it with standart furniture beeswax...
    Never had any problem with it, he used to do it once a week for the first few months just to create a nice finish and after just once in a while when needed...

3. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    I'm not sure you're supposed to wax the maple basses... they have the "colored oil" finish which is sealed and doesn't require waxing. My bass is a '97 Thumb BO5 with a natural oil finish, and it requires waxing every once in a while.

4. The instruction that came with his said to wax it once a week for 2 to 3 months then whenever needed to keep the finish looking nice.
    It worked, the think looked great!
    In the end wood is wood and beeswax is beeswax, little can go wrong!

5. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    True, but they keep mentioning it as a "special beeswax blend", whereas my beeswax is totally, 100% straight from the bees. If I used it, would I have to mix anything with it, or should I just try and find Warwick's wax? The two guitar shops within 60 miles of me don't have any (or any Owner's Kits they could sell me), and I can't buy it online.

6. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    You can order it from Guitar Center.

7. Whale semen.

Or just reorder it from Guitar Center.

I lost mine (beeswax, not the whale man mustard) years ago, so I guess mine's looking dingy. Oh well... It's still pretty to me, and I haven't really noticed any wear or tear on the wood or any other apparent flaws.

8. Gubna

Gubna

Oct 21, 2006
    San Francisco
    how about caranuba wax?

9. bass12

bass12 Blistering barnacles! Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Any wood-friendly wax will do. Of course, Warwick would love for you to think that only Warwick brand wax will do the trick, but this simply isn't the case. Don't worry about it.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I found the Ken Smith was much easier to use.

And no, you're not supposed to wax the maple bodied basses, they actually have a thin hard finish on them, not an oil finish.

11. K-Funk

K-Funk

Sep 24, 2007
    Auburn Hills, MI
    Is the straight-up, all natural beeswax I have fine, or should I mix it with something to make it "wood-friendly"?

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021