1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can I wire a passive J bass Vol Vol Tone Tone ?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jibreel, May 6, 2010.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Can a jazz bass be wired passively to have both volume and tone for each pickup into one jack?

Thanks !!

2. I wouldn't recommend it.
    The tone controls are going to interact when the volumes are on full.

3. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
  4. Cutty

Cutty

Jun 25, 2006
    U.K.
    Just make up,or buy a stackpot,just like on the early 60's jazz basses,i believe you may find them on ebay or a guitar parts store.

5. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Note that if you use the same wiring scheme Fender uses on the Vintage Series '62 Jazz bass controls, the tone controls WILL interact. The only way to prevent the interaction using a passive system is to insert bridging resistors (like Fender used on the original stack-knob Jazz basses in the very early sixties). Fender elected not to use the resistors in the reissues because they also reduce the overall level of the instrument.

John

6. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Yes its very doable. It'll gives you that little bit extra control and shaping power that Les Paul and SG guitars have with their seperate vol and tone for each pup.

7. Don't forget that Les Pauls have pickup selector switches.

The tones still interact when the pickups are played together.