can I...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by milo, Oct 11, 2005.

1. milo

Jul 22, 2004
    Can i connect two combos with one guitar.
    How ?
    I thought abaut buying 1x15 combo for lows,put my Hartke A35 on top for hights.
  2. Funkengrooven

Funkengrooven Turn it down? You gotta be nuts!!

Sure, It is called a "Y" connector and you can make one or buy one, Radio Shack sells them in mono and stereo.

You will need the model with two male plugs and one female socket (jack) If all you can find is stereo that will do fine as long as it is sheilded.

There are other ways to do this as well but they are more complicated and more expensive.
  3. milo

Jul 22, 2004
  4. If you have a tuner out or DI out on one combo that's pre-eq, you can run a cable from that into the other amp, skip the Y connector.

If there's any doubt, get the Y connector. You can't goof anything up that way. Accidentally plug a high output (worst case speaker level) into your other amp by mistake, it could cause issues.

5. I've been doing it for awhile at practice... went stereo out of my Boss GT6 into 2 different combos (stacked). works nicely, but you have to play with the amps a little to get the volumes and tone right..

if you are gonna cut the highs on one and use it as a sub, just remember it takes a lot more power to push lows, so the stronger amp should be used for this purpose, otherwise the amp pushing the highs tends to be way louder...
  6. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
  7. Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    dang,, those loopers are expensive, just look for ab/y boxes on ebay, you can get a decent one for 25 bucks...

that would be my suggestions.
  8. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    If one of the amps has 2 inputs you can "jump" the channel. Plug your bass in to the input, take a cord from the other input to the other amp. Both inputs are in parallel. If you only have one input per amp, use a Y cable.