1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can Jerry Jones Longhorn 6 use standard gauge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyTheSaint, Jun 13, 2005.

1. JimmyTheSaint

JimmyTheSaint

Mar 15, 2005
    California
    With the right mods to the tuners and bridge, can the Jerry Jones Longhorn 6 be set up with standard gauge bass strings (low E = .100)? I tried calling and emailing them, but no response.

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've got a couple of them but have never thought about that mod.

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I don't really know, but I seriously doubt it (and I doubt it would be a good idea) -- the neck is narrow already, and heavier strings would make that seem worse; with the 30" scale, I think regular bass strings would be pretty floppy; and then there's the matter of finding strings where the taper works out right since there's no way you're getting a regular bass string through those tuners. (I doubt the strings would fit through the bridge either...)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think the JJ just is what it is, and if you like that (I do!) it's the bees knees. If you want it to act more like a regular bass, sell it and buy a six string bass (You can still tune E-E if you want to!)

Having said all that, I don't really understand the strings. The low E is .084 and yet it's very acceptably taut at 30". Maybe someone can explain how this works.