Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can Jerry Jones Longhorn 6 use standard gauge?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyTheSaint, Jun 13, 2005.

1. JimmyTheSaint

JimmyTheSaint

Mar 15, 2005
    California
    With the right mods to the tuners and bridge, can the Jerry Jones Longhorn 6 be set up with standard gauge bass strings (low E = .100)? I tried calling and emailing them, but no response.

2. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    I've got a couple of them but have never thought about that mod.

3. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I don't really know, but I seriously doubt it (and I doubt it would be a good idea) -- the neck is narrow already, and heavier strings would make that seem worse; with the 30" scale, I think regular bass strings would be pretty floppy; and then there's the matter of finding strings where the taper works out right since there's no way you're getting a regular bass string through those tuners. (I doubt the strings would fit through the bridge either...)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I think the JJ just is what it is, and if you like that (I do!) it's the bees knees. If you want it to act more like a regular bass, sell it and buy a six string bass (You can still tune E-E if you want to!)

Having said all that, I don't really understand the strings. The low E is .084 and yet it's very acceptably taut at 30". Maybe someone can explain how this works.