Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Can MODS have opinions?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Feb 9, 2003.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Just reading the posts in the "Scott Ritter flip/flop thread and came across a few concerned member posts about a moderators tone of a highly debated topic beaten to death (I'm guilty too) in OT.

So can MODS have/post opinions in a highly contested forum, and still keep it balanced?

Not trying flame or anything, just curious.

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    No, I feel that they are cyborgs anyway!

3. Sure--after all, SMASH is swift to cry "FASCIST!" at anyone to the right of Paul Wellstone, and he shows no signs of stopping. But, he makes sure not to do it in any forum which he himself moderates, it's all good.

I'm going to use names here: since Hambone is not the OT moderator, he should have the right to say whatever the hell he wants there however he wants to say it (as long as it's within the usage agreement and the OT mods are cool with it), and JMX needs to stop whining like a little girl.

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Paul said we can't have opinions, and that we're fine with that. :zombie:

5. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    I only have an opinion if there is an opportunity for sarcasm.:D

Chris A.:rolleyes:

6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    or if I smell a freebie coming on......

Chris A.:rolleyes:

7. Great, now that I've removed the totally "offending" post, you will probably have to field a bunch of "What the hell is he talking about?" queries.

Funny thing is that since I'm a moderator and I know and fully understand the rules (even the whitespace between them :)) I carefully made that post to do 2 things - (first) put across the disgust and frustration I have with the opinions of the group I referred to and (second) do it in a way that didn't violate forum rules or the spirit of the rules. In response, 2 subsequent posters IMO broke a forum rule to put me in my place.

Sometimes you just can't break even.

BTW, did that whole thing get reported?

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    no, it didn't, and while i commend you on taking the high ground and removing your post, i don't think that there was anything wrong with it. some of the folks around here need to be a bit more tolerant of other folks' opinions.

as for mods having opinions, i have in the past had to swallow my words in the interest of maintaining appearances. in the end, though, i'd rather contribute to the board's good neighborly health then get in a pissing contest with a fellow member over some dumb political point. i've not always felt that way, as a perusal of the archives will attest, though :D.

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Mods are people too :cool:

10. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    sorry, i've been informed i'm unable to comment on the above question.

11. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I AM A BOT.

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OK, since Hambone already posted here, I can too.
    I found his post uncalled for, offensive in nature and therefore trollish.
    It may or may not be in violation of forum rules, it was not to be expected from a moderator (you might want to read up on the meaning of the word), and I just said so.

You said you didn't break rules but I did, huh?

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=61735

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Now I wanna know what Hambone's post actually said :D

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    ...Anyway, I thought that when you become a mod, you have to relinquish your personality? Or maybe I just assumed that from JT... :D :D

15. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

That the Moderators occasionally "chime in" with a burst of (wit?) personal commentary, I do not find that in and of itself a problem.

Sometimes Mods do it to kill a Noxious thread, or stop a few (me included) from bickering the available bandwidth away.

I appreciate both of these types of styles, they move a conversation along, or make us take a breath or 2 before launching another salvo.

But if on the rare occasion, someone stomps on a Moderators personal belief, if you "eat your words";
    that is commendable, but sometimes your personal opinion may be neccesary, just to "Call Thunder Down From the Mountain".

You think?

16. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    What Hambone wrote was no worse than anything I've seen in OT by other mods. I just don't see member get their freak on when it is liberally slanted.

Besides, he removed it...so there's still the violation of forum rules by JMX -

If you have a disagreement with a moderator (If your thread gets deleted, if you get a warning, etc.), DO NOT take it out on the moderator. Do not even think about publicly complaining about a moderators actions. If you have a problem with a moderator's decisions, email the administration.

Oops...:eek:

17. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OK, him being am moderator leaves me to comment/react to his post via PM only? I don't think this rule implies that, especially when his post clearly is not primarily in his function as a moderator.

As I understand it, the PM rule is intended for reacting to typical actions as a moderator, thread deletion etc. as elaborated in that rule.

Otherwise I'd violate that rule every time I answer to a mod's post? - c'mon.

18. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I've been jumped here for writing that the food sucks in England...I'm not offended, Schmasch.
    I also don't feel persecuted here.
    And PD is a quitter!

19. odie

odie Supporting Member

I try not to get involved in the "heated" threads for the most part. I will never get into a debate with someone in OT. I will make one group of comments in one or two posts and then Im done. I dont have the energy to argue. But I do read all the posts.

I think Im pretty fair in that I can see where most people are coming from.

Now in another thread, there I can do some damage!! :);)

20. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Personally, I'm just fighting for a reason to hang out here anymore. TB's content is quite banal right now.