1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can my ex-roommate get me in trouble for withholding his mail?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JustJoshin, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    There once was a young man named Louie Beans. He owed $20 to another young man called C. C was very upset by this and would chase after Louie Beans whenever he saw him. A wiser man told him to let it go. C didn't even like Mr. Beans so for $20, he was out of his life. This was a while back so adjusting for inflation, $160 isn't bad. Give Louie Beans his mail.

Tbone76 likes this.
  2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Yeah; best to just mark his mail " not at this address" - or "Return to Sender", if you're an Elvis fan - and let the mailman deal with it. As for the money?? Probably not going to do you much good, but - that's what Small Claims Court is for. I suppose you could try to get his butt on Judge Judy, and embarrass him on TV....:rolleyes:

3. I'm still LMAO over this whole thing.

"Can I get into trouble for breaking Federal law?"

carl h. and Paladin54 like this.
  4. That depends on who you are , what connections you have, and what your position in society is along with what caliber of lawyers you can afford.

5. I wonder how good of a lawyer you can get for $160.
    :cool:

Paladin54 and SteveCS like this.
  6. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    Simplified: $$$

7. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Give the guy his mail, unless you don't mind the possibility of being federally prosecuted. Besides, dicking around with someone's private property to get what you want from them is a douche move anyway. I'm sure you don't want to be that guy.

Ox Boris likes this.
  8. Fleebag

Fleebag Quacker!

Sep 7, 2013
    Illinois USA
    Albeit less of a douche move than sticking your roommate for the utility bills that you helped rack up (imo). And it's not something he wants from him, it's something he's owed, by law as well.

Laethyn and Journey55 like this.
  9. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I used to do collections for a bookie and i can tell you from experience that the threat of violence is the most effective tool known to mankind for convincing deadbeats to honor their commitment.

Failing that. Last time i had to cover it, simple assault was only $100 plus court costs.

Lots less trouble than playing patty cake with the feds and much more satisfying than dicking with some a-holes mail.

Who knows? You may luck up and get your money back. :D

10. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    To bring down the drama level here a bit, it's highly unlikely the feds will arrest and prosecute the OP in this matter. At most, he might get a nasty-gram if his ex roommate pursues it.

Hoff Kinkmeister likes this.
  11. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I doubt that there were any love letters in there, or even letters from family; I mean who does that anymore. So you're holding what, junk mail that he's going to throw away and bills, that we already know he doesn't think much of? The only one you're hurting here is you by opening yourself up to the mail charges. Send it back to the post office or give it to him; but don't keep it.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  12. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    While true enough, again, is 5 years of your life worth gambling for "highly unlikely" ? I'm not into drama, or going to jail for any kind of money. Common sense ain't drama.

13. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    And thinking that the Feds will go straight to prosecution over a few pieces of mail isn't common sense......

Ox Boris likes this.
  14. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    Fine, feel free to dip your toe in that water if you like.

15. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, who cares about that pesky two-wrongs-don't-make-a-right mamby-pamby stuff? It's always better to choose to be a douche and then double down by risking federal prosecution to boot. More bang for your buck!

Hoff Kinkmeister likes this.
  16. Hoff Kinkmeister

Hoff Kinkmeister

Dec 17, 2015
    How will the douchiness ever end if I'm not a douche too tho?

17. ak56

ak56 Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2015
    Carnation, Wa
    Since when did 'common sense' have any connection to the Feds?

18. BboogieXVII

BboogieXVII

Feb 4, 2013
    jammin
    Just throw his mail out. Trust me, there is no authority anywhere in the U.S. that will check up on this. when he comes over just say there isn't any mail for him but you would like for him to pay up on any debts. He probably will never return, end of story.

19. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008

20. sub-commandante

sub-commandante

Feb 12, 2016
    Borrow a beagle, they are notorious for chewing everything to pieces. Film it, place video on youtube, collect $160 in ad revenue, and you're square.

bolophonic likes this.