1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Can my ex-roommate get me in trouble for withholding his mail?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JustJoshin, Mar 9, 2016.

1. JustJoshin

JustJoshin

Dec 30, 2015
    This is what I ended up doing, after waiting a while. Most of the mail was W2's, so hopefully he has very little time to do his taxes.

Back to the utilities, I have a recording of him saying he would pay me the amount I texted him for his final utilities. I thought about small claims court, but somebody told me that it isn't legally binding...

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Then someone told you wrong. The problem comes in collecting.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

That depends on your state and whether the fellow knew they were being recorded. Some states allow you to record people without consent. If you had legal permission to make the recording it will more than hold up in court. If the recording is your voice mail then you don't need consent, they already gave it by leaving the message.

Civil court cases only need to be proven to a reasonable belief, you don't have to prove anything beyond a reasonable doubt. Short of the roommate providing receipts (assuming you gave them) you'll have a fairly solid case. I'm with @sissy kathy though, it can be trouble to collect.

4. Robroy

Robroy SUSPENDED

Jun 21, 2006
    This story is relevant: I guy rolled his car in front of my house at 3 a.m. I went out there to see him climb in a pickup (a friend of his) and they drove off. When the cops got there I told the cop what happened. The cop said that often people will crash their car late at night and then call it in as stolen, but they don't understand that it is a common and easily disproved claim.

No sooner did the cop finish his story than he got a call reporting that the car was stolen.

A couple more cops arrived and, as we talked, the pickup that the driver got into drove by going the other way. I said, "hey, that's the truck the guy got into." A cop took off in his car and returned about 15 minutes later with the driver of the car. He was also the owner of the car.

Lesson: The cops are not stupid. You can't say, "gosh, officer, the mailman must have delivered every single other persons mail on my street but just forgot my room mates." They are not stupid and whatever you're trying, it's been tried before. And judges and juries are not stupid.

Give him his mail. Key his car or something, but give him his mail.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  5. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    There is nothing at all illegal about marking the mail "wrong address" and sticking it back in the box. I do it all the time. Screw that deadbeat.

Tbone76 likes this.
  6. Robroy

Robroy SUSPENDED

Jun 21, 2006
    Yep. That is the way to handle it.

7. JustJoshin

JustJoshin

Dec 30, 2015
    I recorded him during our conversation as he was moving out. I figured he would try and pull something like this, so I set up my computer to record before he came back in from moving stuff to talk to me. Then I made sure to bring up the payment. My state is one-party consent, so it was completely legal.

GregC, DiabolusInMusic and Robroy like this.
  8. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    This.

Not this.

Laethyn, Tbone76 and Robroy like this.
  9. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    Look, someone gave a letter to the postman, who put it in his sack. To comply with the law, you must make sure that bright and early next morning, they get their letter back. I suggest you write upon it: Return to Sender. If the address is unknown, you should put that, too. Your ignorance of the number and zone should also be noted.

Datsgor and elgecko like this.
  10. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    A simple "Not at this address is" sufficient, it is the recipients responsibility to keep the post office advised of their current address, not the person mail was misdirected to.

Fleebag, elgecko and Ox Boris like this.
  11. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    But if I drop it in the mailbox and send it special D, I think it's only reasonable that bright and early next morning it comes right back to me.

ChrisB2, elgecko and sissy kathy like this.
  12. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    In this country all, except bulk mail (adverts), is returned to sender.

elgecko and Ox Boris like this.
  13. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    How about if I take it myself and put it right in his hand?

elgecko and sissy kathy like this.
  14. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Okay, but kinda misses the point of the exercise. OP is trying to mess with the guy and not break the law.

Laethyn, elgecko and Ox Boris like this.
  15. Ox Boris

Ox Boris Banned

Nov 23, 2015
    Australia
    But if it comes back, the very next day, then I'll understand.

elgecko and sissy kathy like this.
  16. sissy kathy. Ox Boris is singing an Elvis Song, not giving advice.

Everybody sing!

She wrote upon it... Return to sender... Address unknown... No such number... No such zone.

But, you knew that anyway.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Laethyn, elgecko and sissy kathy like this.
  17. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Wow. I totally missed that. It's funny cause I do that sort of thing too.
    I'd'a caught on in the next year or so. I guess @Ox Boris had to get up off the floor several times and wipe away the tears. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2016
    Laethyn, Ox Boris and elgecko like this.
  18. Elvis gave some good advice there. Too bad he lost his good judgement later in life.

LiquidMidnight likes this.
  19. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :roflmao:

I was asking myself "Is sissy kathy REALLY not getting the Elvis/Return to Sender reference?"

:D

ChrisB2 and Ox Boris like this.
  20. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Speaking of missing the point.

sissy kathy likes this.