1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can never find an amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by OneMeanZ, Apr 6, 2009.

1. OneMeanZ

OneMeanZ

Feb 15, 2009
    Bristol, TN
    Hello all, I've done a lot of reading about combo amps and head/cab setups; and unfortunately I'm confused. I've recently started jamming with some buddies while just hanging out and having a few beers. I had bought a Rogue combo amp from a pawn shop for real cheap and I immediately knew why when I tried to play (I'm an idiot) :(

Anyways, I'm graduating college next month and I am getting a graduation present from the grandparents and I believe it is time for a nice head/cab setup, but I'm not really sure what direction to go with the desired sound I want.

My price range would max out around $500, plus or minus a bit. The style of music we like to play is typical stoner/doom stuff. We really enjoy Sons of Otis, Electric Wizard and Ufomammut. Some heavy bass, psychedelic stuff.

Sorry for the long post and any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Might be kinda tough in that price range to get a rig that will handle a 'lot of bass". Try looking on your nearest Craigslist. Or you could look in the TB classifieds. Either way, used will get you further for your dollar. Best of luck!

3. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Heavy bass is probably gonna call for a heavy combo....I would say buy a used head and cab..but if you gotta have new, $500, and good rumble then I would look at Carvin combos.

4. OneMeanZ

OneMeanZ

Feb 15, 2009
    Bristol, TN
    Thanks guys. I'm definitely not opposed to buying used at all. Just have no idea what type/brands of heads and cabs to be looking at, if that makes sense.

5. Thundar

Thundar Living in sin at the Holiday Inn

Peavey, Hartke, Carvin, GK, Ampeg...all of them have great heads and cabs you can probably find used for around $500....pure cheap bang for buck, I would go for a Peavey Firebass head and then a 410 or 15" cab of your liking...theres plenty used stuff out there to be had for cheap