Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can only pluck on Fenders.Why ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MMFender, Sep 26, 2004.

1. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    I got this problem : i can do the popping technique (plucking) with my right hand's index and middle fingers very fast and accurately.(with my Marcus Miller 4 string Jazz.)
    I am planning to buy a 5 string bass as well.
    I tried Yamaha,Cort whatever i found.
    I only plucked well on Fender Jazz 5 strings.
    But fenders are too expensive over here.1850 US dollars.
    +the strings are too much apart from each other.

i liked tha yamaha TRB 1005 and Cort A5 as price and comfortability.
    But i CAN NOT PLUCK FAST on them because my fingers CAN NOT rest anywhere and they CAN NOT bounce back from the pickguard.

What should i buy (from where i live.)
    Is there anyone who shares the same experience ?
    Will i get used to these modern guitars without pickguard ?
    or Am i doing smth wrong as technique ?
    I am so confused as why this happens please help.

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Could be the string spacing is most comfortable for you on Fenders.

3. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    string guage, I had trouble plucking quickly on my old 66 Steels but the Ernie ball Hybrid slinkies make it a sinchish! (the ish part on account of i suck)

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I don't see what the pickguard has to do with anything...maybe I'm silly but yeah... Just go try basses, with enough practice you should be able to get sued to it. Or Get an SX 5er and then get it set up and later on when you grow weary of it replace the hardware and pups.
    EDIT: It would help if you filled out your profile to faiclitate the helping.

5. Rico_2212

Rico_2212

Jul 6, 2004
    Dietzenbach, Germany
    Peavey Amps Club #64
    It could have something to do with the space between the fingerboard and the neck pickup. I've heard a lot of slappers say that fingerboards with more than 21 or 22 frets there isn't enough space for their technique. Maybe you just need that extra space or just spend more time adjusting your technique to compensate for the lack of space.

6. pickguards do make a difference, if you have a pickguard it prevents you from putting your popping finger too far under the string which increases speed and comfort..i found it to be completely different slapping on an Ibanez ATK, w/pickguard, to then going to a kubicki, which hasnt got one...but it just takes a little practice..i now prefer without pickguards

id reccomend a musicman SUB5 or try an find a seccond hand Ibanez ATK 5er

7. Where do you rest your fingers?

If you really need to have something under the strings, you could have a "ramp" made which will make it feel like the strings are lower.

Personally I like to have MORE space under the strings - my Yamaha TRB6 Mk1 has less wood under the top two strings to make it easier to pop.

8. MMFender

MMFender

Sep 26, 2003
    Istanbul,Turkey
    thank u guys
    i ll check cort GB 75 Marcus miller like 5 string

9. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    fender american series w/ active pre amp.

g&L l-2500 feel of a fender but waaaaaaay beefier and better tone options.