Can Phantom power hurt my active bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pbassred, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Yes I know I can use a DI box but I just wanted to know. For that matter, If I use the line out from my amplifier could phantom power hurt that?
    Ok NOW I'm scared :eek:
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Sorry you've confused me a bit. Can you explain the setup in more detail?
  3. About three months ago, our church installed a new sound system where everything goes directly to the sound board and PA system. Out the door went our own amps/monitors. The sound engineer that installed the new equipment told us that phantom power was now active and that it could harm our inividual electronics (active electronics on the bass, keyboards.....) if we tried to hook straight into the system. Our other bass player has a passive bass and did hook straight through for the first couple of weeks and his only problem was that his input just seemed weak, until he brought in his POD. My basses have active electronics, so I never did try to hook straight in (I believed the engineer). I run through my Sansamp Bass Driver DI. I'm going to say that if your line out on your amp is XLR, you'd be safe.
  4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The xlr's are phantom powere. I never had a problem running phantom power mics with DI from my amp when I did recording. But amps can be different.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    As long as you don't have an output going into your bass, you should be fine.
  6. My setup? One on my instruments (a Honer B2AFL) has active electronics and a balanced line (XLR) output as well as the usual jack plug. Obviously the jack doesn't worry me. The XLR does.
  7. The keyword here is balanced; you should NEVER plug unbalanced sources straight into a phantom powered input. That´s why you should avoid using any DIY plug-to-XLR cables or adapters to hook something into a mixer. But if your bass really has a balanced output, there shouldn´t be any trouble.