Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can playing both right- and left-hand bass make you a better athlete?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by CJK84, Jan 6, 2006.

1. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    Odd as the title sounds, I don't mean this as a joke.

Just for fun, when throwing a football with my sons, I sometimes attempt to catch with only one hand. Since beginning to play the bass seriously, I've noticed that my left hand (the fretting hand) is more coordinated for this than my right - and I'm a rightie.

Dribbling a basketball now feels a little more comfortable with my left hand also.

Over the past 4 months, I've been teaching bass to my 13-year-old son who's a rightie also. He's only modestly interested in music, but has worked fairly hard at it and is developing what I think is pretty good technique and control.

So I see him playing basketball with his 7th-grade team and his dribbling skills are noticeably better with his left hand than with his right hand. He says dribbling with his right hand feels awkward compared to his left.

He has a great interest in sports and I am thinking about purchasing an inexpensive left-handed bass simply for the purpose of building up his right hand finger coordination.

As absurd as this might sound, can any of you second this?

Has anyone experienced the increased fretting-hand coordination (for sports activities) that my son and I think has come about as a result of playing bass?

2. visa

visa

Dec 17, 2005
    using your left hand in anything at all involving precision will improve it's use in anything else.