Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Can PreSonus TUBEPre compare to Avalon U5?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Unchain, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
  2. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    bump?

3. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    In a word...no. Almost nothing compares to an Avalon U5. I wish I still had mine.

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    My band's studio has a TubePre. It's quite noisy if you try getting much gain out of it, and if you let it clip it crackles violently!

I have used it to insert my bass direct into the console for recording, and it does add a little mush and grind to double-stops... I dunno - I haven't used it in a while, I just pump-in direct with my Xciter now.

Overall, it was rather a dissapointment to us - but we were thinking of using it to go along with our GT-55 FET condenser mic for 'tube warmth', but it's way too noisy for that.

Joe

5. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Looks like I'm not getting that. Oh well! Thanks for the help! :)

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Not that price necessarily means a lot, but I doubt you're going to find a $100 preamp that compares to the $500 Avalon. Price notwithstanding, there are few preamps out there that surpass the U5. I guess the Millenia are believed to sound better to some, but the price is up yet another notch or two over the Avalon. My next preamp is going to be an Avalon Vt737sp.

7. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I really didn't think so, I was just wondering peoples opinions on it. Nice choice for your next pre, I wish I could afford anything like that. The Millenia that Jean Baudin uses sounds just...wow.