Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can push/pull pots be used for tone and volume?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Taylor Livingston, Feb 25, 2003.

1. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    stupid question, i know. does the pot act as a different control based on what positon it's in, or is the push/pull just for switching something on and off? also, can one use a 500k/500k concentric pot for tone and volume, or should tone always be 250k?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    The typical push/pull that you run across is, as you thought, a pot combined with a DPDT switch. It isn't limited to simply 'turning something on and off" and in fact is rarely used that way. It is usually used to switch between two wiring circuits. For example, parallel to series PU alignment, or to bypass a preamp. Insert a coil tab, or whatever.

You can use a 500/500 concentric for stacked tone/vol. However, the control you have over your tone will be more limited.

You may want to try a 250/250 first. A 250 may work fine on your volume.

Chas

3. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    thanks. so, to clarify, the knob's turning will act as the same thing in both the up and down position, and the up and down is a switch for something else, right? would it possible to use the up/down switching to mute or unmute the bass and use the knob as the tone? is there someplace to which you could refer me to find out about all these wiring-type questions (so i'm not constantly bothering you busy bassists:D)? thanks again.

4. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    to answer my own question (in case anybody wants to know about this), push/pull pots are basically a pot with a switch in the same doodad, and function separate from each other. stewart macdonald (where i got this information) says that it is possible to wire them to work together, rather than separately, but i don't know how.

anyway, if anybody is looking for info on the basics of wiring guitars/basses, go here:

http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/i-4000/index.html

5. Thanks Johnson, You just saved Notduane from posting up his wonderful diagrams. ;)

psstt he secretly likes posting them up, he makes up this whole whinging thing but between you and me... *looks around* he's a big softy.. Whoa here he comes. lol

Hope all works out for you.

:D:D

Merls

6. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You didn't think I'd sniff this one out, ya' ol' camel jockey? :p

Yarrrgh, `tis true -- I DO likes comin' up with them wacky
    pup wirin' schemes. But the Twilighty Zone* place where
    I work is monopolizin' ANY free time I might have :bawl: (boo-hoo).

*The "team" I'm on supports about 5 3rd party apps,
    yet they just cut our "roster" down to 3. In the meantime, the
    hiring of people whose main qualification is their political correctness
    quotient continues unabated (never mind that they couldn't find
    their *** with both hands, in broad daylight, with TWO interpreters
    standing by, and with a team of specially-trained search & rescue
    dogs :rolleyes: :mad: ).

7. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    :) thanks.

maybe notduane could direct me to a place where i could get wiring ideas? the bass i'm making now will be really simple (one pickup, probably a concentric pot for tone and volume, or possibly a push/pull pot with the knob controlling tone and the switch muting/unmuting, if that's possible. wow, long parenthetical statement), but i'm in interested in creative wiring ideas.

8. sheeeshh what a crap load of schems pages Notduane! I will keep this thread in mind next time someone needs a wiring link... or maybe you can just post them up again so it gives you something to do... better than finding some newbies ass eh? :p

That came out wrong hmm

:D:D

Merls

9. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    is this possible (judging from what i've read, most anything seems possible with bass electronics)? where could i get directions/scematic?

10. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    I am using Push/Pull pots on one of my basses for 2 different purposes.

The Bass has 2 single coil pickups.
    It has 2 Push/Pull Pots and 1 standard Pot.
    Each Push Pull Pot was originally a standard Pot used for the individual volume control of a single pickup.
    The other Pot is used for tone (actually it has a capacitor that cuts high frequencies).

Push/Pull Pot #1 - In down position it is the same as the original - volume for the Neck pickup.
    In up position it is wired out of phase but it is still controls the volume.
    If the bridge pickup is off, the sound is not any different in the Up or down poisition.
    If the bridge pickup is on and the poisition of Pot #1 is Up then the pickups are out of phase and some cool sounds can be made by blending the 2 pickups (different volumes on different pickups produce different amounts of phase cancelation - sort of sounds like an envelop filter).

Push/Pull Pot #2 - In down position it is the same as the original - volume for the Bridge pickup.
    In the up position, it performs a High Cut on the bridge pickup but again acts as a volume control for the bridge pickup. There are 2 capacitors identical to the capacitor on the Tone Pot connected in the Up position to create the High cut.
    By itself, the pickup in the up position sounds like the Tone knob with the highs rolled off (actually a little more roll off). This gives a very punchy thump.
    Combined with the neck pickup, the tone is very interesting. The highs from the neck pickup remain but only the Mids and Lows from the Bridge pickup come through. Blending of the two pickups provides a different tone due to the cut in Highs on the bridge pickup.

When both Push/Pull Pots are in the Up position, the Out of phase blending sounds different as there is no cancelation in the Highs from the Neck pickup(since the highs are cut from the Bridge pickup).

I experimented with several wiring schemes back in the late 80's before sticking with the above 2.