1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

can relationships grow in box stores?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I've bought some things in the Sam Ash and also in the Guitar center closest to my home. I'm on record and in the 'computer'. Does this make any difference when returning merchandise within the 30 day return policy period. Like if the item has a dent or scratch on it. Will the sales people be more or less likely to look the other way? Does it matter at all?

I bought a floor item and I want to return it but I see a dent that I don't know if i bought it with or if I did it.

2. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    I've had no problem returning things to GC for any reason within the 30 day period.

I don't know if they look the other way or their merchandise flow just allows for a certain percentage of waste due to damage. Never been an issue.

When I bought my 610HLF, the local GC had one on the floor and one in a box. I noticed the tolex was a bit scuffed in places on the floor model and insisted on the boxed unit. When I got it home, I found the casters all twisted and the cab hissed horribly. The cab had obviously take a fall somewhere along the line. Went back and swapped with the floor model which has been my main cab ever since and has no issues.

3. although we have a local sam ash, i have had no dealings with them, even though we have been in several times.

have much experience with GC, and like the last poster, have had no trouble returning things.

we have a good relationship with several of the people there, and i would say the answer to your question is an unqualified YES...you can develop relationships, and i urge you to do so.

very helpful (in fact, GC employees hooked my son up with his present band)

go in regularly, meet with your regular guy, and you will be surprised how nice and helpful they can be

davesignatureII-1.

4. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Make friends with the managers! They can give you huge discounts on minorly scratched/dented gear.

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Being in their database doesn't mean anything. It's just a way for them to have your info on file and mail you worthless coupons and flyers.

You can certainly make friends with people in the store and that does help.