1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Can Schroeders do Metal? YES! (video)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SnoMan, Mar 26, 2006.

1. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    and here's the proof.

Schroeder Mini12+ and walkabout head. Not going through the PA. All rig.

http://stonebuddha.net/redemptionnew.wmv

Video taken with a Digital camera, so the picture quality isn't the best and lowering it for the web doesn't help, but the audio is surprising.** Only the vocals are going through the meager PA. The lighting was also crappy...only blue and red, nothing else.

**(edit- what I mean by surprising was more the fact that you could hear the bass, I didn't expect it to be picked up on a digicam. The quality of the audio mimics the quality of the video. The device was deisgned for still pics. This was not the devices primary function. )

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Possibly the video camera, but all I heard was garbled distortion. I hope for Shroeder's sake they don't sound like that.

3. Damn.. I need to join a metal band. :bassist: Looks like it was keeping up well.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, the vid quality was definitely better than the audio.

5. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Yeah that wasn't very convincing.

6. You are joking aren't you? That's diabolically awful! :eek:

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Whoa dude, I had my speakers jacked up loud!

Don't let Jorg find out you're using that video as a way to endorse Schroeder cabinets.

-Mike

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I've had the same thing happen with digital camera audio. The low frequencies are picked up so strong by the tiny mic (or whatever it has) that the audio in general sounds like ass. I couldnt really make out much of the bass tone.

9. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You guys must have pretty bad ears :p Or maybe my speakers arn't as bad..

Yeah, the quality is very poor/distorted.. But if I actually listen, I can definently hear the bass keeping up in there.

BTW - I didn't mind the actual song either :)

10. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No dude, that sucked. I have good headphones and decent ears, and I like metal. That was just some bad audio. Please, SnoMan, try again with the input levels much lower on the camera.

11. The recording wasn't the point, the fact that the cab could keep up with the rest of the band was.

12. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    ^^Exactly. And for a single 12, plus only a walkabout.. That's a good effort.

I didn't say they recording didn't suck, I said I could hear the bass :)

13. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I have a few recordings of my ABM + 1210 if anyone wants to hear them. recorded live with the mic placed on stage just off from the 1210 so its nice and clear.
    only problem is they are covers and not Metal (although we did "A thing called love")
    let me know and ill find so way of getting them up or i can email them
    Aslo got a recording of a "Jam/paul Weller" gig i just did using a Mark Bass LMII with the 1210 but the bass is down in the mix compared to the ABM recordings.

14. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Ok Ok

True is true

This was taken on a digicam, the audio quality is well below par and the bass, along with the rest of the band sounds like we're playing through blown speakers.

*I was just quite excited because this is the first time I"ve ran that rig at a gig unaided by PA. I really didn't want to, but I was very proud that the rig was able to keep pace and be heard on the recording.*

In real life, there is a good deal more clarity to the music. you can check the myspace recordings for that ;)

It didn't help in losing quality to bring it to a decent size for streaming.

Oh well, I'm still happy enough with the recording for it being off a digicam.

I just wanted to show Schroeder's smallest cabinet keeping pace in a show setting without going through the PA.

15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Tough crowd!:eek:

16. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Eh, I expected nothing less.

The point I'm making appears to be getting across to a few at least.

17. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I get it. Quite impressive for a single 12" for sure...

18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm sorry. I could hear the bass in there. Impressive for sure.

-Mike

19. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    In fairness,

This also was a small room. It's a small all-ages venue. It'll hold about 50 people before it starts getting tight.

I was really worried about playing without PA support and kept checking the amp all night. After our set it was pretty warm, but I don't believe it was getting to dangerous levels.

I bought this rig knowing that we have support at nearly all our gigs. Finding out that this amp can keep up if it absolutely has to is a nice feeling.

:cool:

20. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My preference is for great tone as well as great volume. Believe it or not, this is achievable. ;)