Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

can sombody identify this effect

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lesfleanut, May 29, 2002.

1. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    well. Im an avid non-efects user. but I decided I wanted to get one just to screw around with. so I started listening around to see what effect I want to get. I found a realy cool one, but I dont know what kind of effect it is, perhaps one of you effects guru's can lend a hand (or an ear :) ) ok this is the song that it is used in

Oysterhead - Mr. Oysterhead

Les uses it throughout the whole song but its most noticable in the first 30 seconds or so. If anybody could help me out here that would be cool.

BTW, if you guys could also name a few good brands that make that kind of pedel that would also be cool.:)

2. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    Just listening to it, he is using distortion, a delay/echo pedal, and some sort of envelope filter
    used like a Wah. It could be one effect, but I don't recognize it. I think is a combo of effects. Search
    for les claypool effects. There is a thread here about the different effects he uses. Check out his
    website also.

3. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    I think its all in one pedal, because he uses it in alot of other primus songs. you might be right, but I think it would be pretty hard to switch 3 different efects on for one note (watch videoplasty, in hello skinny he uses the same effect on one note, he also uses his whammy in the same note.) I dont know, im probably just a dufus. ;)

4. Les uses a Korg AX300B for most of his effects live and now in recording, he's used the same multieffect for the past few years on all of his albums... That effect he's getting is from one of the many crappy envelope filter patches. He used the same effect on their Black Sabbath cover... He also runs a sansamp BDDI for boosts and a Boomerang Loop sampler to get "wierd spacey sounds."

5. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    so I should look into a good envelope filter? thanks.:)

6. yes, that's it... Stay away from the multi effects, it's a miricle les can get the filter to open at all on the Korg.

7. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.

Yea, even though I dont know much about effects I know not to get a multi-effects unit. Ive seen to many crappy ones. looks like its time to take my bass down to the store and try out some effects.:D

thanks for the help;)