can some one give me advice on playin bass please i'd really apreciate it

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rambleon326, Jun 17, 2001.

1. rambleon326

Jun 17, 2001
    i'm new to playin bass and and i would like some advice on what i should do i already play drums and i can play 5-6 songs really good but thats it can you give some easier songs to work on for now
  2. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I wouldn't worry about playing songs at the moment. I would learn some scales and exercises first, develop some coordination and then learn songs. Buy a few books or instructional videos.
  3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

It's really hard to advise you without seeing you play, because one cannot know what areas you need to improve or practice to a greater extent.

Learning songs has value and makes you feel as if you are accomplishing something musical, but to help you further, someone who is an experienced bass player should listen to you play and watch you play to determine how best to help you improve.

For example, you said you know five songs. How did you learn them? By ear? Reading standard notation and sheet music? Reading tabs? Someone taught you the songs?

Do you know the fretboard of your bass? Do you know the name of every note (or notes) at each fret? Do you know how to play the major and minor scales in every key? Do you know what triads are and can you arpeggiate chords?

These are just a few areas you may need to study. But, as I said before, without being able to hear you play or see you play, it is hard to give any guidance.

If you could tell us more about where you are in terms of playing your bass, we could help you better.
  4. Welcome, man!
    It's good to see more people interested in playing bass.
    I have played bass for 4 years now. I learnt by playing to CD's of my favourite bands. I have come to be pretty good at bass (ok, so I cant play "classical thump" perfectly yet. So what? I'm only human!). Do you have a teacher? I f you can, get one and learn the basics early. If it wasn't for my musical theory background, I would have been destined to being a mediocre player who can only copy famous players and has no personal style.
    Once, you have all the basics pretty good, try to develop your own unique style. At first, it may seem like you will never develop this, but in time, it will come.

Good luck,

Rhys Machell.